Questions from interested 08ers. (1 Viewer)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
One is self taught with consultations if necessary, the other is 4 hours every second day (or something close to that).

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
well that explains alot. Mine are fulltime for 2 weeks (8 hrs minimum a day)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
I think learning regression modelling in two weeks would be little hard, given that alot of people doing it would need a credit minimum. Just means that my faculty is kinder to their students :)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
meh, i'd rather get it over and done with asap. 4 weeks, 2 intensive courses, sounds pretty good to me.
beats working anyway

Sammy-Blue

HSC
I think that's another thing, mine are probably set up for people with internships and whatnot, fits pretty well with the dept of finance timetable. Anyway I digress...wait what the question?

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Davo1111 said:
O-week starts 1 week before that.
Thanks heaps. That's a weight off my mind as otherwise i would be out of the country for O-week

Mond

HSC
Davo1111 said:
no problems, if you've got any questions about this kind of thing - give me a buzz.
Btw which college did you visit?
Thanks, and it was B&G.

Evilo

HSC
hmm i personally don't know many people from the UK (although i know there are a few here). yeah you're right, there are a lot of asians here, but it's not just for asain internationals.

as for the LAFHA, you have to have a job to get that don't you? a few people here have AusStudy and Youth Allowance, but these (i think) are avaiable to only australian students.

Evilo

HSC
It's designed for people who have been asked by their employer to move elsewhere for a period of time, with the intention of returning at a later date.
""An allowance that must be in the nature of compensation to the employee for additional expenses incurred as a consequence of an employee being required to live away from their principle place of residence in order to perform the duties of that employment.""

Firstly you must be considered an employee, and under the ATO's
FBT Guide for Employers, an employee is:

* A current employee,
* A future employee, or
* A former employee.

So this qualifying criterion is relatively simple.

Secondly you must be considered to be living away from your
usual place of residence when:

* There is a change of job location (and the family may follow);
* The employee intends to return to their original location after time away; and
* The period away exceeds 21 days (ATO ‘rule of thumb’).
* Lastly, you must be assessed by PayMe as complying with LAFHA legislation. We provide all contractors requesting LAFHA with a LAFHA Questionnaire so you can be assessed before you may be paid the allowance.

http://www.payme.com.au/living-away-from-home-allowance-lafha.html
there is a whole thing here about it, but it looks like you need a "real" job. Coles just isn't going to cut it lol.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
People here who are on Youth Allowance in Australia can still claim it if they go overseas on exchange. See if the UK offers the equivelent.

zaneus

HSC
Do you absolutly NEED a UAI to get into ANU? The course i want to do is Bachelor of Music and the requirments didn't state that i needed one. Because of that i have dropped a subject (In year 12) to lighten my load for the time being and give me more study time.

Because of that, i'm not getting a UAI. So, with that said, do i have a chance of getting in now?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure. I don't know of any Music students at ANU who didn't get a year 12 certificate of some description. But that doesn't mean that you need one. Perhaps you should email the people at the Music department at ANUasking this question.

sparkerasp

HSC
humphdogg said:
Perhaps you should email the people at the Music department at ANU asking this question.
Don't! They don't answer emails, lol. It's better if you call them.
zaneus said:
Do you absolutly NEED a UAI to get into ANU? The course i want to do is Bachelor of Music and the requirments didn't state that i needed one.
Same! [/high five/]. I'm going for an audition soon so I'll ask for you if a UAI is required. Of all the pieces of paper ANU has sent me, there is nothing that says UAI requirement :)

Last edited:

zaneus

HSC
I'll still be getting my HSC, just not a UAI because i only have 10 units, two of which, are taken up by tafe course.

Also *High 5's*

cricketfan10

HSC
i got one of my emails answered haha, it was for the timing of your accommodation application...which im still to do -_- but apparently timing doesn't matter

HSC
can som current students please describe wat sort of city life canberra has?? and wat are some typical activites that you do?? im considering comm/law at ANU but every1 keeps telling me that canberra is just a barren hole =/

Thanks =]

Sammy-Blue

HSC
leung1234567890 said:
can som current students please describe wat sort of city life canberra has?? and wat are some typical activites that you do?? im considering comm/law at ANU but every1 keeps telling me that canberra is just a barren hole =/

Thanks =]
Canberra is pretty boring, but if you're living in a college with like minded people you will find more than enough things to keep yourself entertained with. You just have to go a little more out of your way to find fun stuff than in bigger cities. There have been several times when I wished I'd picked to go somewhere in Sydney/Melb, but at the end of the day ANU is ranked #1 and has excellent postgrad courses (and I have to do a postgrad course). I guess it depends what you're used to really, Canberra is actually a step up from where I live :eek:

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Canberra is pretty boring, but if you're living in a college with like minded people you will find more than enough things to keep yourself entertained with. You just have to go a little more out of your way to find fun stuff than in bigger cities. There have been several times when I wished I'd picked to go somewhere in Sydney/Melb, but at the end of the day ANU is ranked #1 and has excellent postgrad courses (and I have to do a postgrad course). I guess it depends what you're used to really, Canberra is actually a step up from where I live :eek:
haha where r u from??

im pretty sure id go to canberra just worried about living costs. living in canberra is cheaper than sydney yea? i guess the lack of entertainment can help me save =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)