Questions involving LHS=RHS (3 Viewers)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
The nature of the HSC is about satisfying your teacher. Quite sad.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Was it a test that counted to Year 12 HSC? Were you the only one who got deducted for using parametric differentiation?
Wait what? Did you argue like hell for that?
3rd or 4th prelim test, so it didn't count towards the HSC. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one that lost marks for it, I heard of other people complaining about harsh marking so I assume that's what they complaining about. Things got pretty heated when I complained, but I ended up just walking away because I didn't want to swear at him and get suspended or anything. Got my class teacher to talk to him as well, but that didn't change anything. Afterwards she said it wasn't worth the effort because in the broader scheme of things it didn't count towards anything, but if it happened again she'd fight harder for me, which I accepted.

Still pretty pissed though, if I got that mark I could've ended up equal first. Anyway, I'm first now, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Congratulations on being first.

Indeed next time, fight harder.

Also if they try to argue its 'mathematical incorrectness', you can do a bit of research to prove to him that it is indeed correct.

Worst case scenario contact BOS.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Congratulations on being first.

Indeed next time, fight harder.

Also if they try to argue its 'mathematical incorrectness', you can do a bit of research to prove to him that it is indeed correct.

Worst case scenario contact BOS.
Yeah, I pulled out the textbook and was showing him that explicitly showed my method in it, it was pretty ridiculous. Of course, if it happens now I'll fight harder but at the time it didn't seem like such a big deal, especially considering nobody else had actually complained to teachers.

math man

HSC
N/A
IMO it is a true skill in maths to be able to just take one side (LHS or RHS) and turn it into the other using allowed manipulations and assumptions in the case of induction.

As for how your school marks it well looking back at previous tests in my school, before tests are done solutions are written up and they have marking guidelines and your teachers
are forced to make accordingly to those guidelines. If you're method is not valid according to the guidelines then you can lose the marks depending on how leanient your school is.
I remember in one of my 4u tests i did something extravogent and these was a bit of an arguement between my teacher and the head math teacher whether or not to give me the
mark as it was, lets say, inventive. However, if you care about my little story i did get that mark and it made no difference as I was the only one doing 4u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)