questions re: UAI and psychology (1 Viewer)

loz8888

HSC
Ok, so I got my UAI and it was a lot lower than I was hoping for - 86.4. I was really hoping for around 93/94 so that I could get into psychology (honours) at maquarie (UAI of 93.1). However, my EAS application has been approved so I get 4 extra points at maquarie. I also did the UniTest so am hoping that i'll get another 4 (although this isn't definite). Has anyone done the UniTest in the past?..or know anything about it?...How likely is it that i'll get the points? And, if I do get them (meaning i'll get 8 extra points) how likely is it that i'll be accepted into psychology? Do I have any chance at all?

Also, if I don't get into Psychology, I think i'll do Arts - Psychology (UAI of 83ish) at maquarie. If I do my masters after, does this course allow me to be a clinical psychologist? or would i have to transfer into the psychology (honours) course and then do my masters?

Sorry for all the questions!! i'm just really worried that I wont get in! Thanks in advance :)

Lauren

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
I think it does in the long run, however best post in the university forum.

nottellingu

HSC
Im not sure how much this helps but u can just do a bachelor of science (psychology) at unsw. the cut off is mid 70 ish.
You are basically doing psychology by majoring in it through science. I know people who do this but im not sure if it will provide the outcome that you are after. Id be calling the university re this.

Unitest...no clue :p

old.skool.kid

HSC
Hey i also wanna do psych at macquarie, i went to the open day and they said that there is no difference between B psych and science/arts psych. You can become a clinical psychologist as long as you complete your honours course or whatever after six years.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
old.skool.kid said:
Hey i also wanna do psych at macquarie, i went to the open day and they said that there is no difference between B psych and science/arts psych. You can become a clinical psychologist as long as you complete your honours course or whatever after six years.
effort.

loz8888

HSC
old.skool.kid said:

oh thats great! thanks so much for answering. thanks to everyone else aswell. i think i will give maquarie uni a call and see what they reckon.

:)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
There is no difference between a Bachelor of Psychology or a Bachelor of Science (Psychology major) once you graduate.

nottellingu

HSC
Survivor39 said:
There is no difference between a Bachelor of Psychology or a Bachelor of Science (Psychology major) once you graduate.
MED SCI ?? (HONS) ?? AT UNSW ????????? :O :O :O

OMG i need to talk to you :p
Can you please pm me ur emai so i can talk to you on msn about med sci ? please please please :D
Ive got a unsw med sci document about the course and i need someone to translate it to me in real english :p Ohh and ive got loads of other q's abput the course in general

lionking1191

HSC
Survivor39 said:
really? what about the extra year?

and arts (psychology) is missing some key courses in the psychology course so best to get a transfer asap if you want to get accredited. this again is from the uac guide.

spence

HSC
lionking1191 said:

and arts (psychology) is missing some key courses in the psychology course so best to get a transfer asap if you want to get accredited. this again is from the uac guide.
I think he means once you do honours in science, so you do 4 years either way.

And at macquarie you can become accredited through either ba-psych, bsc-psych or bpsych. Also, at USyd, you can become accredited as long as you major in psych provided you do a specific 3rd year unit

dolbinau

HSC
lionking1191 said:

B-Arts Psych and B-Science Psych can take the couple of extra subjects in 2nd year/3rd year B.Psych, the, assuming they maintain credit average, study 4th year (honours) and walk out with the same degree and same accreditation (but different name of course).

Both P.Psych and Arts/Science-Psych can then study 2 years masters as well.

B.Psych students must also maintain credit average to get into Honours at Macquarie, and if they walk away after the 3rd year they will come out with B.Arts-Psych.

At the Macquarie Open Day they stressed that there is no difference between the degrees in terms of content or accreditation (Psychology wise).

lionking1191

HSC
dolbinau said:
B-Arts Psych and B-Science Psych can take the couple of extra subjects in 2nd year/3rd year B.Psych, the, assuming they maintain credit average, study 4th year (honours) and walk out with the same degree and same accreditation (but different name of course).

Both P.Psych and Arts/Science-Psych can then study 2 years masters as well.

B.Psych students must also maintain credit average to get into Honours at Macquarie, and if they walk away after the 3rd year they will come out with B.Arts-Psych.

At the Macquarie Open Day they stressed that there is no difference between the degrees in terms of content or accreditation (Psychology wise).
what about UNSW arts? i remember seeing a line re: arts major psychology that went: this course is missing key electives which does not satisfy A.... (the council..) criterias for..

dolbinau

HSC
I just checked the UNSW website and it does appear to be more complicated and less flexible than Macquarie. A transfer to B.Psych is necessary in the 3rd and 4th year for arts students (after maintaining distinction average and a set program) if you want to go in the direction of a 'professional psychologist'.

More info:

http://www.psy.unsw.edu.au/students/current/files/UG_FASSBooklet.pdf

It says you may complete a 4th year at another Uni. But personally, if you don't make the cut off for B.Psych at UNSW or MQ and want to become a professional psychologist I would go straight to Macquarie Arts-Psych or Science-Psych as maintaining a credit average to get into honours at MQ will be a lot easier than UNSW's distinction (or having to compete with a transfer to another uni).

These are just the uni policies I think, not governed by the APS or anything - they just want an accredited 4 year degree. Another example is at Macquarie you can't do clinical psychology (masters) unless you complete honours year (they offer an alternate diploma which leads to organisational psychology), but University of Western Sydney (IIRC) will allow you to do Clinical Psychology with the diploma if you can transfer after 4th year.

So in the end there are many ways to come out with the same qualifications..at least by recognition of the APS.

BUT, can someone confirm if you can transfer into B.Psych at Macquarie or not? They don't have it listed on their internal transfers page. I get the impression you can't.

Last edited:

spence

HSC
dolbinau said:
BUT, can someone confirm if you can transfer into B.Psych at Macquarie or not? They don't have it listed on their internal transfers page. I get the impression you can't.
Why would you need to? It's no different to a ba-psych or bsc-psych with honours

dolbinau

HSC
spence said:
Why would you need to? It's no different to a ba-psych or bsc-psych with honours
I assumed this is why they weren't going to let people do it (if possible), but even though it may technically be the same qualification I suppose there is always the 'prestige' of having the better title :p, or maybe it could increase job prospects from misinformed employers...[Although I suppose any employer hiring people at this level should know].

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
For anyone who didn't make the cut-off for B. Pyschology at UNSW, it is best to go for B Science (Adv) or B Science majoring in Psychology, rather than a B Art (major in Psychology). The addition year can be "added on" to your B Sc (Adv) or BSc so you don't have to worry about that - there is no difference.

It appears an "Arts Psychology major" is not sufficient for you to begin Honours compared with a "Science Psychology major". Therefore, you will need to transfer after 2nd year Arts to either BSc or BSc (Adv) or B Psyc. It may have to do with the number of psyc courses you are allowed to take as a science student and as an arts student.

dolbinau

HSC
I looked briefly on the UNSW website but couldn't find it, do you know what the GPA cut off for Honours is at UNSW?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
dolbinau said:
I looked briefly on the UNSW website but couldn't find it, do you know what the GPA cut off for Honours is at UNSW?
Min. 65 WAM (WAM=Weighted Mark Average, UNSW does not use GPA).

Keep in mind that the higher your WAM, you more "choices" you have in terms of your preferred academic supervisor and Honours thesis topic/research area*. Obviously someone with a WAM of 90 will almost always guaranteed a first choice.

*Note: the 4th (Honours) year is mostly research-based where you get a research topic, e.g. "The role of stress in memory function". Your academic supervisor provides some direction as to how you obtain scientific evidence to address your aim. So it is important to have both a good supervisor who is willing to help/get along with and a topic you are passionate about doing research on for 1 year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)