Questions Regarding Census Dates, Enrolment and Tax File Numbers (1 Viewer)

wotnow

HSC
Hi guys, I'm quite new to BoS and USyd and I'm wondering if anyone could answer my questions regarding enrolment and other such things:

1) What is the Census/administration date for the Bachelor in Science of Agriculture course and where can I find it?
Also, is this date different depending on what units you do or is it a 'universal census date'?

2) Also, is it possible to Wait for a late round offer without having to pay for units, Seeing as payments made after census date cannot be refunded even if I drop out of the course?

3) The USyd website says to bring TFN or Certificate of application for TFN on enrolment date.
Where to get A certificate of application for a TFN? (I don't have a TFN yet and I'm still waiting for TFN application forms to arrive. It says here that I can only get a certificate once I have already applied.

4) What is considered paying unfront? (On website it says we don't have to pay on enrolment date, so I'm assuming an upfront payment is any payments made before the administration/census date.?)

5) For the the photo ID I have to bring to enrolment, would a high school student ID be good enough? Or would I need something like a passport photo? I'm only asking cause I might have to send my passport to the tax office for my TFN application and I don't have a driver's license.

Also, am I right in assuming the census and administration date is the same thing?

Please answer soon as my enrolment is on Monday.

Sorry for the convoluted questions and thanks for your time!

wotnow

HSC
bump. anyone? 50 views and not a single reply?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
For photo ID a driver's licence would suffice and everyone's census date for 1st Semester is on the 31st March. IDK about upfront payments or what you should do for TFN so it is best to ring up the admin.

wotnow

HSC
K. Thanks very much music, but what do you mean "everyone's census date for 1 September?" I would call the admin, but on the website it says their helpline is closed on weekends, hence me asking these questions on the BoS forums.

I suppose questions 1 and 2 are answered. Anyone know the answers to Q3, 4 and 5?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
1) What is the Census/administration date for the Bachelor in Science of Agriculture course and where can I find it?
Also, is this date different depending on what units you do or is it a 'universal census date'?

Generally it is always the 31st of March for 1st Semester and the 31st of August for 2nd semester. When this falls on a weekend though aim to finalise everything by the last business day of March/August.

Dates can be found: http://sydney.edu.au/about/dates/

2) Also, is it possible to Wait for a late round offer without having to pay for units, Seeing as payments made after census date cannot be refunded even if I drop out of the course?

Yes. Your offers will be sorted well before the census date regardless.

3) The USyd website says to bring TFN or Certificate of application for TFN on enrolment date.
Where to get A certificate of application for a TFN? (I don't have a TFN yet and I'm still waiting for TFN application forms to arrive. It says here that I can only get a certificate once I have already applied.

Contact the ATO. You actually have until the census date to give the uni your TFN.

4) What is considered paying unfront? (On website it says we don't have to pay on enrolment date, so I'm assuming an upfront payment is any payments made before the administration/census date.?)

Payments that aren't deferred to HECS-HELP.

5) For the the photo ID I have to bring to enrolment, would a high school student ID be good enough? Or would I need something like a passport photo? I'm only asking cause I might have to send my passport to the tax office for my TFN application and I don't have a driver's license.

driver's licence, passport, proof of age card, NSW Photo Card

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, I'm quite new to BoS and USyd and I'm wondering if anyone could answer my questions regarding enrolment and other such things:

Also, am I right in assuming the census and administration date is the same thing?

Please answer soon as my enrolment is on Monday.

Sorry for the convoluted questions and thanks for your time!
1) Census Date for most uni for Sem 1 is 31 March
2) Yep, payment is due on the 31st of March, and you can withdraw before then.
3) You go to the ATO (in person at one of their branches) for a Certificate of Application. It's effectively a form that states you're waiting on a TFN to come in. Make sure to have your TFN application number/stamp from the ATO (if available) and your course code from USYD.
4) Paying up front is when you make a payment (either part of full) up-front to the University. You can part-pay up-front and defer the rest. You do not have to pay until 31 March (census date)
5) You should have a NSW Photo ID (you can get one from an RMS (formerly RTA)). High School Student ID might fly, but I'm going to have to say it probably won't.

Aysce

HSC
May I ask, what happens if you don't have a Certificate of Application or TFN? I'm going to try get the Certificate of Application ASAP.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
May I ask, what happens if you don't have a Certificate of Application or TFN? I'm going to try get the Certificate of Application ASAP.
You have until the end of March to give it to them.

Aysce

HSC
You have until the end of March to give it to them.
Yup but I'm not sure what I'm going to fill out on enrolment day with neither of the required things :s

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
They might stop you from enrolling until you get one. But since it's Monday you can hop over and get one on the spot from the TFN. They do it right there for you.

Those that say "you have until end of March", that's if you have your actual TFN. If you don't have you MUST show a Certificate of Application from the TFO.

Aysce

HSC
They might stop you from enrolling until you get one. But since it's Monday you can hop over and get one on the spot from the TFN. They do it right there for you.

Those that say "you have until end of March", that's if you have your actual TFN. If you don't have you MUST show a Certificate of Application from the TFO.
So I just head off over to one of their branches and get the certificate? What must I bring? :/

madharris

HSC
N/A
So I just head off over to one of their branches and get the certificate? What must I bring? :/
I'm not sure but probably Credit card (not sure if they cost money to do it at a branch :) ) and photo ID (preferably your passport and maybe your licence as well)

Aysce

HSC
I'm not sure but probably Credit card (not sure if they cost money to do it at a branch :) ) and photo ID (preferably your passport and maybe your licence as well)
Crap, luckily enrolment day for me is on Wednesday. I wonder how they'll know I've actually handed in an application though - through a database I suppose..

GEEZ

wotnow

HSC
Thanks for the links and answers everyone.

Btw, everything was fine for enrolment even though I didn't bring a TFN on the day. They just asked me to email them my TFN to them asap... just for future reference for anyone else with the same questions.

Also, I don't think you need money for applying for a certificate at a branch. When I applied for a TFN at a branch, the person at the counter didn't even mention money.
/Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)