Questions (1 Viewer)

GaganDeep

fffff
HSC
What is the strucutre of the polymer: polyvinylchloride: its a multiple choice question.
A strip of blue litmus paper is placed in dilute solutions of magnesium oxide. Predict the effect the solution will have on the litmus paper?

Umm, confused, lol, those oxides are basic when they react with water, so there wouldn't be a change in colour right?

Calculate the volume of SO2 gas produced when 64 g of )2 is combusted with excess sulfur. at 25C
I think my equation is wrong
S2+ 2O2 -> 2SO2
Umm i got 2 moles for the oxygen, for the sulfur dioxide, it would be 4 moles right?

Identify the conditions under which a galvanic cell is produced
Umm, Salt bridge?, electrolyte, and a conductor to flow electrons from anode to cathode?

A very small peice of small yellow substance is heated. It burns with a blue flame, producing a gas that dissolves in water. The resulting solutionm causes blue litmus to turn red.
What can be conclucded about the gas produce
1) it was oxygen
it was basic oxide
It was carbon dioxide
it was an acidic oxide
i think it is the last one, is it right?
Thanks

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
A normal polymer is a very long straight chain of carbons with 2 hydrogens bonded to each, but in PVC, for every second carbon, one of the hydrogens is replaced by a chlorine atom.

Magnesium oxide is a metal oxide and is therefore basic, will turn litmus BLUE in water. If you had a non-metal oxide, which is acidic, it will turn limus RED in water.

The equation for sulfur reacting with oxygen is:
S + O2 -> SO2

For the galvanic cell, you need two cells that are physically separated so that the transferred electrons that flow through a wire or external circuit, which produces an electrical current. Of course you need the two electrodes of the cathode/anode as well as electrolyte, which is the solution hat conducts electricity. You also need a salt bridge to maintain electrical neutrality in the two half cells and allow ions to flow betwen half cells to complete the circuit.

From what I said above, an acid will turn limus RED, so you are correct.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

GaganDeep

fffff
HSC
Thanks man, This is the most idiotic question you have heard but why have u only got 1 Sulfur atom.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
GaganDeep said:
Thanks man, This is the most idiotic question you have heard but why have u only got 1 Sulfur atom.
Sulfur doesn't occur as a diatomic molecule, so in reactions it can be written as S.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)