Questions (1 Viewer)

bored6

HSC
Hey guys,

I've been considering a few options within an arts degree at USYD and i've got a few questions.

What are international relations / govt. based units like? Intially they seem interesting but the Subject reviews thread doesn't seem to be as favourable.

How hard is it to maintain a strong D average in subjects like international relations / history / english? I'm aiming for post-grad law and i'm slightly uneasy with the possibility of not achieving a D average.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
bored6 said:
What are international relations / govt. based units like? Intially they seem interesting but the Subject reviews thread doesn't seem to be as favourable.
General consensus appears to be that first-year Usyd GOVT subjects are shite, but they get better in second and third year. GOVT1101 Australian Politics is the only particularly good junior sub available, but you'll have to do two of them to qualify for senior units, so you might just have to grin and bear it.
bored6 said:
How hard is it to maintain a strong D average in subjects like international relations / history / english? I'm aiming for post-grad law and i'm slightly uneasy with the possibility of not achieving a D average.
If you can write an essay and put in enough effort, Ds are definitely achievable.

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
Do a language or two. I found that even though I was putting in less work than for other subjects, I was getting 80+. Then again, I'm actually capable of learning grammar.

e.g: First day of class, Semester 1: What's a verb?
Last day of class, Semester 2: Do I have to use the accent in Greek?

Half the class failed in Modern Greek because after 13 weeks they failed to learn the alphabet.

For law, latin is the go. Other languages taught well at uni are Modern Greek, Spanish, German and Hebrew.

Languages will provide you with a way to relieve tension, enjoy classes, and raise your average marks. Latin will not do any of that, but it will make you a better student.

bored6

HSC
Thanks for the reply guys, i'll definately look into latin.

Does anybody have experience with English units? I'm pretty discourged from the feedback on the subject review thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)