Questions (1 Viewer)

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
(1) Habib Clothing, a manufacturer and retailer of clothing, has expanded its business to
China. The CEO has decided to use the same model of operations in China as they do in
Australia. Chinese locals will be employed to manage and staff the business.
Which staffing arrangement has Habib Clothing decided to use?
(A) Ethnocentric
(B) Geocentric
(C) Holistic
(D) Polycentric

(2)Remlap Surfwear is planning to expand its operations internationally. The CEO has
decided that the international marketing campaign will present the same marketing mix
for every international market in which the product will be sold.
Which global marketing strategy is Remlap Surfwear intending to use?
(A) Differentiation
(B) Standardisation
(C) Global branding
(D) Research of the market

Answers and discuss.

Thanks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
(1) Habib Clothing, a manufacturer and retailer of clothing, has expanded its business to
China. The CEO has decided to use the same model of operations in China as they do in
(A) Ethnocentric
(B) Geocentric
(C) Holistic
(D) Polycentric

(2)Remlap Surfwear is planning to expand its operations internationally. The CEO has
decided that the international marketing campaign will present the same marketing mix
for every international market in which the product will be sold.
Which global marketing strategy is Remlap Surfwear intending to use?
(A) Differentiation
(B) Standardisation
(C) Global branding

Answers and discuss.

Thanks.
D & B

D because it employs people in the host country to manage and staff.

B because it uses the same marketing campaign for every international market, assuming the way that every product is used and desired is same for all markets.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
D & B

D because it employs people in the host country to manage and staff.

B because it uses the same marketing campaign for every international market, assuming the way that every product is used and desired is same for all markets.
I had the same answers + reasoning as you. Solutions are definately wrong then. I'll trust your word.

Thanks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I had the same answers + reasoning as you. Solutions are definately wrong then. I'll trust your word.

Thanks.
What are the answers according to solution? There might be some stuff that I might have overlooked.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
What are the answers according to solution? There might be some stuff that I might have overlooked.
According to the CSSA 2006 solutions the answers are B & C.

I don't think you can justify B. Nowhere does it imply the business employs the most suitable person for the position (irrespective of their nationality). Its clearly establlishing China as its source of labour.

And as for C. I was more worried bout that one. It could be the answer. But it says "the product will be sold". I can't see any implication of global branding there.

What do you think?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
According to the CSSA 2006 solutions the answers are B & C.

I don't think you can justify B. Nowhere does it imply the business employs the most suitable person for the position (irrespective of their nationality). Its clearly establlishing China as its source of labour.

And as for C. I was more worried bout that one. It could be the answer. But it says "the product will be sold". I can't see any implication of global branding there.

What do you think?
For the first one, that is totally wrong. I reckon our answer is correct on that one.

For the 2nd one, yes I was swaying between the two (little bit). Global Branding by definition is the worldwide use of a name, symbol or logo to identify products of one seller and differentiate them from those of the competitor. In addition, there can be some modifications to products and services dependign on which country the company is operating in.

The fact that the company is trying to employ same marketing strategy for every market goes straight against that answer.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
For the first one, that is totally wrong. I reckon our answer is correct on that one.

For the 2nd one, yes I was swaying between the two (little bit). Global Branding by definition is the worldwide use of a name, symbol or logo to identify products of one seller and differentiate them from those of the competitor. In addition, there can be some modifications to products and services dependign on which country the company is operating in.

The fact that the company is trying to employ same marketing strategy for every market goes straight against that answer.
Fair enuf. So answers are in fact D & B then. The scenario also clearly focuses on the product itself rather than the organisations global standing.

Wierd. People would have got that wrong if no one picked up on it =/

Thanks for that.

pabzieee

HSC
1. Geocentric

(A) Ethnocentric
(B) Geocentric
(C) Holistic
(D) Polycentric

In order for it to be Ethnocentric..Habib clothing would fill management and staff positions in the host country (china) with australians. :- The way i think of ethnocentric is ethno. meaning all of ONE ethnicity involved..in the host country operations

HOWEVER. on 4th read through the question i considered Geocentric. for social-cultrual barriers such as language, tastes, barriers etc. would habib clothing CEO have chosen to staff their global operation with all chinese for merit reasons...because they would undertsand the local market better??

If it was polycentric. The question would say. Australians have been chosen to manage the chinese operations with local chinese employed as staff. while training locals for a potential future management role.

agreed or disagreed?
if so why..

pabz HSC 2009

gen maths :angry:
std English:uhhuh:
Business Studies:p
Ancient History:cry:
Modern History:angry:
SOR 1U:cool:

pabzieee

HSC
2. Global Branding

for Which global marketing strategy is Remlap Surfwear intending to use?
(A) Differentiation
(B) Standardisation
(C) Global branding

I think its obvious that it is a toss up between B & C (if you didnt know that...just sign out of school and please dont sit the HSC).

I did initially consider standardisation. "same" "every international market in which the product will be sold."
HOWEVER,
standarisation: the business manufactures the exact same product in all global markets.
with minimal alterations to suit a local market.
(because thenthe product would be differentiated)

Global branding: Is achieved by maintaining the same packaging, logo or presentation irresepective of the individual market. (keeping same marketing mix) "will present the same marketing mix for Which global marketing strategy ".

agree or disagree?
why?

pabz HSC 2009

gen maths
std English
Business Studies
Ancient History
Modern History
SOR 1U

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
1. Geocentric

(A) Ethnocentric
(B) Geocentric
(C) Holistic
(D) Polycentric

In order for it to be Ethnocentric..Habib clothing would fill management and staff positions in the host country (china) with australians. :- The way i think of ethnocentric is ethno. meaning all of ONE ethnicity involved..in the host country operations

HOWEVER. on 4th read through the question i considered Geocentric. for social-cultrual barriers such as language, tastes, barriers etc. would habib clothing CEO have chosen to staff their global operation with all chinese for merit reasons...because they would undertsand the local market better??

If it was polycentric. The question would say. Australians have been chosen to manage the chinese operations with local chinese employed as staff. while training locals for a potential future management role.

agreed or disagreed?
if so why..

Dude, what the hell?

Polycentric system of staffing = employing people of the host country. They don't have to say whether Australians have been chosen to manage the chinese operations and stuff because THAT WOULD BE GEOCENTRIC APPROACH.

2. Global Branding

for Which global marketing strategy is Remlap Surfwear intending to use?
(A) Differentiation
(B) Standardisation
(C) Global branding

I think its obvious that it is a toss up between B & C (if you didnt know that...just sign out of school and please dont sit the HSC).

I did initially consider standardisation. "same" "every international market in which the product will be sold."
HOWEVER,
standarisation: the business manufactures the exact same product in all global markets.
with minimal alterations to suit a local market.
(because thenthe product would be differentiated)

Global branding: Is achieved by maintaining the same packaging, logo or presentation irresepective of the individual market. (keeping same marketing mix) "will present the same marketing mix for Which global marketing strategy ".

agree or disagree?
why?
Dude, again...

Read the question properly. They clearly said that they used "same marketing mix"...no difference what so ever. If there were some differences = differentiation. If they used a global logo, trademark and brand with some or no differences = global branding.

I swear to god that you wouldn't have gone with answers like that if michael didn't mention the "answers"

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Dude, what the hell?

Polycentric system of staffing = employing people of the host country. They don't have to say whether Australians have been chosen to manage the chinese operations and stuff because THAT WOULD BE GEOCENTRIC APPROACH.

Dude, again...

Read the question properly. They clearly said that they used "same marketing mix"...no difference what so ever. If there were some differences = differentiation. If they used a global logo, trademark and brand with some or no differences = global branding.

I swear to god that you wouldn't have gone with answers like that if michael didn't mention the "answers"
+1. Thats why I didn't mention them first.. to try and get an objective opinion.

(1) I agree with namu. Pabzieee, you are basing your answer on the assumption that the local labour force has a better understanding of the market. While this could be true, its not always the case. In the scenario there is no indication that they have even remotely tried to consider the "world's best practice". If u noticed: "Chinese locals will be used", in other words their selection is independent of their ability to manage the business. Polycentric is probably the answer.

(2) Again I think your wrong pabziee. Maybe if I give you the definition alongside the statement it will clarify things for you.

Definition: "A standardised approach is the state by which a single undifferentiated product is used to satisfy the needs of a single global market."
Scenario: "the international marketing campaign will present the same marketing mix for every international market in which the product will be sold"

O and your global branding definition has been manipulated to suit the scenario lmao. Let me give you the cambridge text book example to show you why its not global branding.

Coca cola is a global brand don't you agree? yes. But diet-coke is called Coca Cola lite in the UK (despite the same formula). Same marketing mix for that specific product? no....

That's my opinion atleast. I just posted up the question to see if I'm wrong or the answers. Feel free to disagree :)

pabzieee

HSC
hmm. i see where your coming from. (maybe i did overthink it to be geocentric) i thought it would be the best option to empoly host nationals to manage and work the subsidiary. therefore geo get it?

you obviously thought. host... cnt be ethno therefore opposite polycentic.. Correct??????

well..

russianROULETTE
Executive Member
http://community.boredofstudies.org/155/global-business/186946/can-someone-please-explain-ethnocentric-polycentric-geocentric.html

Business = 87
English = 89
Italian Continuers = 89
Biology = 85
Ancient = 91

UAI: 92.65
ATAR: 93.25

Re: Can someone please explain ethnocentric, polycentric geocentric
ethnocentric - home company employees fill all key positions/manage overseas subsidiaries

polycentric - host country nationals manage subsidiares but home company employees fill key positions

geocentric - the right person from the job selected regardless of nationality

it's about staffing systems in global ER.</SPAN>

(I now totally agree with you that is it polycentric..and you are 100%)
but this person is not so clear cut on wat entho and poly are...
sure ethnocentric is aussies managing and working a chinese subsidary... but what is aussies managed and chinese worked the subsidary??
or chinese mangaed and aussies worked the subsidary??

explain/discuss..

pabzieee

HSC
oh and btw.... therefore what would you say the differences between standardisation vs global branding is..??

=]

xDell

HSC
Marketing STRATEGY = Global branding
Marketing APPROACH = Standardisation.

The question is asking for a marketing STRATEGY so its global branding.

As for Q1. in my trials i had the following Q
A large toy company is setting up a subsiduary in Hong Kong. Management has decided to employ their senior management team from Hong Kong as they are familiar with the market and the buying pattern of local customers
What staffing system is being used by this company
A. Ethnocentric
B. Polycentric
C. Geocentric
D. Decentralised

The correct answer is B. Polycentric. However, 40% of the grade, including myself, had C. Geocentric. My teacher did some research and found out that different text books have different definitions so he accepted both B and C.
so imo the answer is d to q.1

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Um. Standardisation deals with the marketing mix, specifically the product element. If you refer to the syllabus, product is under marketing strategies.

How do you distinguish an approach from a strategy then??? Don't you take an approach by implementing a strategy? Essentially they're very similar.

This is getting pointless. The question is too ambiguous.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I don't know where you are pulling all these stuff from but from my textbook Business Studies in Action clearly states that standardation = marketing strategy. And my leading edge textbook implies that standardisation is a marketing strategy as well. In all honesty though, I don't even know how you can differentiate "strategy" and "approach" , they are pretty much the same thing as they refer to actions that business takes to achieve its business objectives.

As for Q1. in my trials i had the following Q
A large toy company is setting up a subsiduary in Hong Kong. Management has decided to employ their senior management team from Hong Kong as they are familiar with the market and the buying pattern of local customers
What staffing system is being used by this company
A. Ethnocentric
B. Polycentric
C. Geocentric
D. Decentralised

The correct answer is B. Polycentric. However, 40% of the grade, including myself, had C. Geocentric. My teacher did some research and found out that different text books have different definitions so he accepted both B and C.
so imo the answer is d to q.1
Dude, your teacher is so wrong. In terms of multiple choice, you can have more than one answer that is "right". The reason for having MC is to choose the answer that is more correct. It's obvious that some dodgy textbooks talk some different stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)