• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questiosn baout studying Med. USyd or UNSW (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
:)hey im in yr 10 and im interested in doing medicne at uni. We just had our first round of subject selections, i didnt choose any sciences, but i think now i should have chosen chemistry so im going to swap that with ancient history. Anyways i was wondering what uni do u think is better, is one of them easier and what about recognition in the workforce. Any other general info would also be great

Any ihelp would be gretaly appreciated. Cheers :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
don't trust me i'm trolling.

usyd canes. so hard. that explains why medical science/med is 99.95 whereas unsw you only need 95+ to get that elusive interview.

um and you should probably do at least mathematics (2u) and chemistry, with biiology and/or physics recommended. grab a uac book from your careers adviser to check on this.

and consider uws as well. not everyone can get 95+

slowjam10

HSC
Re: Questiosn about studying Med. USyd or UNSW

well i chose

2U Adv English
1U Ext 1 English
2U Adv Maths
1U Studies of Religion (Compulsory)
2U Food Technology
2U Legal Studies
2U Ancient History (changing to chemistry)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A

you are the first guy i've met (err on the netz) who does food technology

either you must be seriously caning it .. or you should reconsider the subjects and have a go at bio/phys.

i find as long as you have a decent tutor, most science are doable

PrettyVacant

HSC

Mmmm...food tech.
Yeah, I want to do Medicine too.
And Usyd medicine isn't actually 99.95. Uni of Sydney only has postgrad medicine, unless you're an "exceptional" student and that means you're guaranteed a spot in postgrad medicine after you do medical sciences (or some other course). I think this means you don't do the UMAT with the Usyd med course, but you do the GAMSAT. UNSW and UWS require you to do the UMAT.

slowjam10

HSC
ohh with food tech im doing cause ive been gettin like 100% in everything in class and exams i always get over 90%. Last yr i even got first place with overall result of 97%. so eyh and teachers great to, so thats why i chose it.

slowjam10

HSC
tehy say choose things u can do good at, so thats why i chose it. Anyway i dun go to a co-ed school - in fact over 40 studenst from our yr gruop do it.!!!!

slowjam10

HSC
rather not say exact name. but its a catholic school in the western suburbs

kloudsurfer

HSC
LottoX said:
Yeah, those are for super geniuses though. I'd think only 40 people in the state per year would be eligible to go for those places.
Ive been wondering about that. So medicine at Usyd is graduate medicine as well as undergrad? Is it mostly Graduate? How many of the places are given to undergrads? How many medicine places are there in total?

How hard is graduate medicine at USyd to get into as opposed to, say, graduate medicine at ANU or Wollongong or the other unis?

lala2

Banned
HSC
There are actually only about 10 provisional places, hence the 99.95 cutoff. It isn't actually 100, because most 100'ers would reject that and go either to UNSW or UMELB, and so do some of the 99.95'ers. The provisional scheme means that those 10 lucky people actually enrol in either Science (Advanced) or Med Sc, NOT the MBBS, as their undergraduate degree. They have to maintain a distinction/high distinction average (pretty high, I must say) for the length of that particular degree, then they are guaranteed a spot in the graduate MBBS program without the hassle of GAMSAT and interview.

So this 'undergrad' thing is really just a fast-track program to the graduate medicine program at USYD. There is no such thing as an undergraduate MBBS course in USYD, as such. As for graduate medicine between USYD and other unis--I have absolutely no idea.

kloudsurfer

HSC
lala2 said:
There are actually only about 10 provisional places, hence the 99.95 cutoff. It isn't actually 100, because most 100'ers would reject that and go either to UNSW or UMELB, and so do some of the 99.95'ers. The provisional scheme means that those 10 lucky people actually enrol in either Science (Advanced) or Med Sc, NOT the MBBS, as their undergraduate degree. They have to maintain a distinction/high distinction average (pretty high, I must say) for the length of that particular degree, then they are guaranteed a spot in the graduate MBBS program without the hassle of GAMSAT and interview.

So this 'undergrad' thing is really just a fast-track program to the graduate medicine program at USYD. There is no such thing as an undergraduate MBBS course in USYD, as such. As for graduate medicine between USYD and other unis--I have absolutely no idea.
Ahhh I see. Thanks. Now I know theres still hope!

Last edited:

slowjam10

HSC
So is there a real difference bewteen doing grad med at Usyd or undergrad at unsw. Besides the fact that one is undergrad and ones not. Rather is the information and things you learn and stuff the same. Is going to one uni or the another more respected when going into the workforce. Also is it true that Unsw is mainly practical case type scenario based.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)