• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

quick calculus q (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to read acceleration and velocity values (and the shape of the curves) off a displacement graph. How do you know if a particle is "moving to the right or left or speeding up" etc.

HSC
these questions don't really come up in the hsc themselves, but basically your working with diff and double diff.

So you have displacement, basically, easiest way to do this (for both graphs, well work with veolicty as it's first diff) is to diff it, determine the stationary points, and then double diff it, and dertermine their nature. From there, put the velocity graph under the displacement graph so that you have the same values vertically aligned.

Plot the stationary points on the graph. Then, before the stationary point, look whether the graph is slopping up or down, then draw it in. Do the same for after, etc. Don't forget your POI as well.

So then, you have your velocity graph, consider that to be your displacement graph for acceleration. So that when you do acceleration, you're working off velocity, not displacement.

As i said, i highly doubt this would come up in the exam, but it's possible.

There are a few questions about, and even i know i'll struggle with this if it comes up in the exam, but yea, the general idea is to work 1 graph after the primitive (as in work velocity off displacement, acceleration off velocity) not trying to skip steps (and do acceleration straight off displacement).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)