Quick clarification (1 Viewer)

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
" Compare qualititavely the number of free electrons that can drift from atom to atom in conductors, semiconductors and insulators "

Syllabus dotpoint 3.T.4, is this referring to the ease of movement between the valence/conduction bands, through to higher energy states etc.. (eg: conductors - many electrons, bands overlap hence movement into higher bands relatively easy for electrons when under influence of electric field, semiconductors - energy required to move into conduction band, lower quantity of electron movement into conduction band, insulator - little-no flowing of electron into higher energy states)? As information regarding the physical amount of electrons that are free to 'drift' isnt in my textbook!

Thanks ..

serge

HSC
"for the physical amount of electrons"
it'll be different for each metal...
plus it says qualitatively not quantitatively
I'd just draw those 3 band pictures

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
serge said:
"for the physical amount of electrons"
it'll be different for each metal...
plus it says qualitatively not quantitatively
I'd just draw those 3 band pictures

quite right, quite right

u could just state # of electrons (obviosuly, not specifically)

metals > semi > insult

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
This came up in CSSA 2005 if i can remember, i don't have my asnwer infront of me but i got 4/4.

I drew the valence/conduction bands for insulator, semi-conductor, conductor. Stated how tightly the electrons were held and how many free electrons there were, ie. in insulator there are few thus it is not a good conductor etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)