QUICK Law citation help (1 Viewer)

lawipthelp

HSC
Give the medium neutral citation for Gordon Wood’s successful appeal to the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal that was handed down on the 24th February 2012 and was the 21st decision of that court in that year.

No clue how to do this at all. How do I approach appeals?

H.G. has appealed to the High Court of Australia from a decision in the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal. Provide the citation for the decision reported in the 197th volume of the Commonwealth Law Reports in 1999, commencing at page 414.

Same with this. How do I approach appeals?

Give the citation of the Act passed by the New South Wales Parliament, assented to on the 29th May 1987 and commencing on 18th January 1988, called the Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act.

This would be the Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 (NSW) right? Not 1988?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Give the medium neutral citation for Gordon Wood’s successful appeal to the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal that was handed down on the 24th February 2012 and was the 21st decision of that court in that year.

No clue how to do this at all. How do I approach appeals?

H.G. has appealed to the High Court of Australia from a decision in the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal. Provide the citation for the decision reported in the 197th volume of the Commonwealth Law Reports in 1999, commencing at page 414.

Same with this. How do I approach appeals?

Give the citation of the Act passed by the New South Wales Parliament, assented to on the 29th May 1987 and commencing on 18th January 1988, called the Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act.

This would be the Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 (NSW) right? Not 1988?
The bottom one should be 1988?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Wood v R [2012] NSWCCA 21

The only difference about appeals cases is that the defendant in the case of first instance becomes the appellant and so takes the action against the plaintiff, who is now the respondent.

H. G. v R (1999) 197 CLR 414

For citation purposes you should always be writing the date of assent, so what you have is correct. But it gets complicated when different sections come into effect at different times, and of course certain sections get severed.

Also it's been a while since I typed up a citation for cases so you might want to get a second opinion :haha:

lawipthelp

HSC
Wood v R [2012] NSWCCA 21

The only difference about appeals cases is that the defendant in the case of first instance becomes the appellant and so takes the action against the plaintiff, who is now the respondent.

H. G. v R (1999) 197 CLR 414

For citation purposes you should always be writing the date of assent, so what you have is correct. But it gets complicated when different sections come into effect at different times, and of course certain sections get severed.

Also it's been a while since I typed up a citation for cases so you might want to get a second opinion :haha:
Shouldn't it be H.G. v The Queen instead of H.G. v R?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
My answers would be.

Wood v The Queen [2012] NSWCCA 21 (24 February 2012).

The rule here is that
*medium neutral citations use [] instead of ()
*only last names for party names
*the full date must follow the citation e.g. 24 February 2012 (this is the correct approach but in reality no one (students) like does it :p)
*note it's 24 February 2012 and not 24th February 2012

H G v The Queen (1999) 197 CLR 414. (might actually be HG v The Queen (1999) 197 CLR 414.)

The rule here is that
*full stops are only used to mark the end of a citation and not for abbreviations
*when citing cases from journals you use () instead of []

Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 (NSW)

I believe you are correct. The year should be the year when the royal assent is given.

Now regarding The Queen, The King and R.

When The Crown is appealing a decision it's R v Defendant but when it is the Defendant appealing its Defendant v The Queen or Defendant v The King

The King is used when the Monarch is the King and The Queen is used when teh Monarch is the Queen. Since Queen Elizabeth II is the current Monarch, we used The Queen instead.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT:
Crobat is correct on the issue about appeals

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
^ seriously fuck citations
Just because you can't cite properly :p Get use to it bro. Forth Year law is like all essay writing so you will have lots of fun with the AGLC :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)