quick Q on Hatshepsut (1 Viewer)

fishy89sg

HSC
i was lookin through the 2006 specimen paper and i saw a 15 mark question:

Assess Hatshepsut's relationship with Thutmose III.

All i can remember is one source about them and i know we need more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so can people be really really kind and help me what else (and what sources) i can 'assess'?

thanks heaps!!!!

ladies_king

HSC
hi,
im not sure if this will help you but when i was attacking that question i talked about how certain modern historians thought that thutmose 3 resented hatshepsut and that he started to deface her monuments immediatly after her 'death' but that this view has changed over time and that they actually co existed in a peaceful co-regency that thutmose 3 didnt actually start to deface her mounments until 20 years after she dissappeared..which historians believe meant she died......and that this is further supported by the fact that Thutmose was actually given military power and led campaigns to nubia which shows she was a usurper.

X

xeuyrawp

It is evidence for something, don't you think? Especially so if it can be dated to a specific reign (which it can).

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
and from what i remember, many historians have commented on their opinion, and used other primary sources to back that up, so i think starting with the defacement would be good.
Also - have you thought of discussing how the role may have changed as he matured? Their relationship would have changed over time

raiders771

HSC
i remember talking about the co regency defacing of monuments, the bloodline, modern historians perspectives etc cant remember but hey i got a band 6 LOL

jannny

HSC
There's two sides (i think) in H's relationship with Thutmose.
a) that they got along well or b) not.

Evidences for they got along well
- 20 years after H died, the defacement only happened during that time
- H giving T an important position of being a military leader. If T hated H, then he could've used the army to destroy her. Also shows a "trusting" relationship
- Reliefs from her Mortuary temple, in the middle collonade showing H and T offering goods before the sacred barque of Amun. Showing "cooperation", and H is not sidelining T from the government as opposed to the Views of Gardiner and Wilson.
- Historians believe that T defaced H for logical reasons, not necessarily hatred. They "think" that he executed the "damnatio" to restore maat, as having a female king does not conform with maat.

Evidences that they did not get along well

- Broken statues/ monuments etc. of H, assumed that T did it
- H's obelisk got covered by T after her death.

Btw its most likely not to appear in this year's paper, so cross it out in the syllabus I reckon =]

fishy89sg

HSC
jannny said:
Btw its most likely not to appear in this year's paper, so cross it out in the syllabus I reckon =]
LOL

even though that may be the case, thanks for your help guys! :)

X

xeuyrawp

fishy89sg said:
jannny said:
LOL

even though that may be the case, thanks for your help guys! :)
Ignore comments like that.

1. They may be wrong, noone can predict the essay questions. Generally the closer you get to the team which writes questions, the closer you get to good teachers who teach well and don't give the questions away.

2. Nomatter the specific question, usually the content learnt will be of some help - doubly so with Egypt, where things like religion, military, building programmes, propaganda, etc, all are the same thing in the eyes of the state theology.

Even if you're doing a question on Augustan women, you can always throw in a mention of Julio-Claudian women in at the conclusion - 'This type of behaviour set a trend which we can see, ultimately, encouraged prominent women like Agrippina the younger.' Markers love to see that you're confident enough to put it all into context.

HSC
err, i know i'm digging up old bones, but...

jannny said:
LOL. so wrong...

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah.

People ALWAYS come on this forum and say shit like 'I reckon it'll be x question', or 'I know it won't be about y', etc...

It's always the same shit, and best to be ignored.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)