• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Quick Q's (1 Viewer)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
did you read my post lol
im not saying don't ask why, or that it won't help - im saying you will gain a much better understanding if you ask why specifically to something you don't understand, and more importantly why you don't understand it

everything that you learn will either make sense or not make sense. if it doesn't

im like 90% sure that neither of those dudes meant just literally saying why over and over again after someone says somethings
what they were trying to say is that understanding will almost always trump rote-learning random bits of information - they are telling you to understand the "why", and this will happen much more effectively if you ask specific questions
like they're legit saying basically what im trying to say lol

tbh i feel like somehow you are trying to rote-learn the 'why' part as well lol, which is an impressive feat in and of itself
the point is not ask why and then gain knowledge that nobody else has because you can repeat a random why of something
the point is you understand why

"When you know why, you truly understand it, and it isn't just an isolated fact. Your brain can draw links between that fact and knowledge you know already, helping you embed it into your long term memory." - You have to be able to draw links like he says to all the content you know so it makes sense, and to do that you have to rid your self of any confusion or inconsistencies in your understanding by asking specific questions lel

"I found learning things not addressed by the syllabus but still relevant makes the subject intuitive so that you no longer need to spend hours at your desk memorising concepts you don’t fully understand."

It's not about "knowing more" than everyone else. It's about understanding it so it becomes intuitive. Like you legit don't really need to study that much after you understand the topic enough that it becomes intuitive. Just randomly asking why doesn't really improve that understanding, but asking specific questions tailored to what does not seem intuitive will help you immensely

annnyways do what you want lel
Nail, don't waste your time on people who just don't get it. You've been here long enough to know the attitude of certain BOS'ers my friend, some people are just so oblivious and remain that way...

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
did you read my post lol
im not saying don't ask why, or that it won't help - im saying you will gain a much better understanding if you ask why specifically to something you don't understand, and more importantly why you don't understand it

everything that you learn will either make sense or not make sense. if it doesn't

im like 90% sure that neither of those dudes meant just literally saying why over and over again after someone says somethings
what they were trying to say is that understanding will almost always trump rote-learning random bits of information - they are telling you to understand the "why", and this will happen much more effectively if you ask specific questions
like they're legit saying basically what im trying to say lol

tbh i feel like somehow you are trying to rote-learn the 'why' part as well lol, which is an impressive feat in and of itself
the point is not ask why and then gain knowledge that nobody else has because you can repeat a random why of something
the point is you understand why

"When you know why, you truly understand it, and it isn't just an isolated fact. Your brain can draw links between that fact and knowledge you know already, helping you embed it into your long term memory." - You have to be able to draw links like he says to all the content you know so it makes sense, and to do that you have to rid your self of any confusion or inconsistencies in your understanding by asking specific questions lel

"I found learning things not addressed by the syllabus but still relevant makes the subject intuitive so that you no longer need to spend hours at your desk memorising concepts you don’t fully understand."

It's not about "knowing more" than everyone else. It's about understanding it so it becomes intuitive. Like you legit don't really need to study that much after you understand the topic enough that it becomes intuitive. Just randomly asking why doesn't really improve that understanding, but asking specific questions tailored to what does not seem intuitive will help you immensely

annnyways do what you want lel
Why [emoji14]

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
btw just want to point out, that I know someone told you that you should ask 'why' to help improve your understanding (which I wholly agree with) but I don't think they literally meant just ask 'why'? lol

half of what your learn by asking questions comes from the question in and of itself - to really test your understanding you need to ask the right questions as well - like just randomly asking why isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if something confuses you or you don't understand it'll be much better for you to identify what exactly about it you don't understand. just asking "why?" is kind of like a band-aid, you'll get an explanation but it probably won't address the root of your confusion, and hence its much better for you to ask properly thought out questions pinpointing what specifically you don't understand, and when that inconsistency is explained you'll find it will be much much clearer and beneficial than just asking "why?" and getting a general explanation.
I can confirm that Nailgun is correct - asking a more specific question is much more beneficial.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
btw just want to point out, that I know someone told you that you should ask 'why' to help improve your understanding (which I wholly agree with) but I don't think they literally meant just ask 'why'? lol

half of what your learn by asking questions comes from the question in and of itself - to really test your understanding you need to ask the right questions as well - like just randomly asking why isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if something confuses you or you don't understand it'll be much better for you to identify what exactly about it you don't understand. just asking "why?" is kind of like a band-aid, you'll get an explanation but it probably won't address the root of your confusion, and hence its much better for you to ask properly thought out questions pinpointing what specifically you don't understand, and when that inconsistency is explained you'll find it will be much much clearer and beneficial than just asking "why?" and getting a general explanation.
I can confirm that Nailgun is correct - asking a more specific question is much more beneficial.
I thought eyeseeyou was just asking "why" repeatedly as a joke (initially I thought it was serious, but after a while it seemed like a joke). Like he/she asked in another thread I think whether we minded his/her asking why to 'annoy' us or something like that. That post made it seem like he/she was mainly joking with the "why"'s.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Well found that post here:

Hey guys

Is it alright if I constantly ask "why" and annoy the hell out of you, just to test your knowledge and improve mine?
So he/she was doing it just to test our knowledge and improve his/hers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)