Quick Question on Lithium Batteries (1 Viewer)

stompalot

HSC
hi all.
im confused about the part of the syllabus asking students to learn about a particular battery. these are the exact words of the syllabus:

"gather and present information on the structure and chemistry of a dry cell or lead-acid cell and evaluate it in comparison to:
  • button cell
  • fuel cell
  • vanadium redox cell
  • lithium cell
  • liquid junction photovoltaic device (eg the Gratzel cell)"
for my assignment i chose the lithium battery. there are two types. one, the old version which used lithium as its anode (and was particularly susceptible to exploding). the other, newer version is called the lithium-ion battery and it uses graphite as its anode.
so im not sure which type the syllabus ir refering to here. do you think in this case it is safe to assume that they are talking about both?

HSC
I think that you could use both but just carlify with your teacher. Me personally, i would use the latest cell, the Li ion.
Cheers.

stompalot

HSC
im more worried if i get asked this in the hsc exam. do you think the marker would mind which one i do?

hilly54

HSC
N/A
it really won't matter, as long as you are able to show how the lithium cell you study compares with the dry cell/lead acid cell, in terms the areas of performance in the syllabus (ie cost, parcticality (in a device/application), environmental impact etc. REmember, the dry cell/lead acid is the 'benchmark' to compare it to.

lokigaia

HSC
hilly is correct, it doesn't matter which lithium cell, as long as you can do everything required by the dot point

goagirl

HSC
im doing this dot point at current and you can choose either one, i myself chose the lithium ion battery (easier!)

gud luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)