Quitting Coles (1 Viewer)

Nelly_04

HSC
I've been working at Coles for about 5-6 months as a casual and for various reasons want to quit. Does anyone know the period of notice a casual must give before resigning?

The main problem is that I have just come back from a month leave. I still have to contact the store to tell them I'm back and that I would like to quit. I would prefer to do this over the phone, but would it be better to do it in person? Its just much easier to meet my line manager on phone than it is to find her in person, but I'm afraid it might seem a little rude.

Also, is it acceptable to ask for a reference letter if quitting over the phone? And is a letter of resignation necessary?

kylie_robbo

Yes a resignation letter is necessary, it doesn't need to be handed to her personally - leave it somewhere that she will find it. Don't attempt to resign over the phone - word of mouth is not enough.

No, it is not acceptable to ask for a reference letter if you are quitting over the phone. Nor if you quit for "various reasons". If you quit, don't expect a reference letter.

Nelly_04

HSC
I thought it would be okay to ask for a reference letter as well...or at least to ask if you can use the line manager as a future referee, to apply for other jobs and what not.

I thought of a better approach to quitting, just wondering what you guys think: Call up line manager, tell her I'm thinking of quitting and discuss the reasons (increased uni workload and would like to find a job closer to uni etc.) and then ask if she would like a resignation letter. If yes, I could go and hand it in personally. Also, ask if I would be able to use her a referee/get reference letter from Coles when applying for jobs in the future.

Would that be polite and nice way of leaving? Any tips on doing it better?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
As a casual, you're employed on an hourly basis, and thus you only need to give notice of one hour. Similarly, if they fire you, they're only required to give you notice of one hour.
However, if I were resigning, I'd put in my letter on say, the Monday, and write something along the lines of "In fairness to you and my fellow staff, I am willing to work to the end of the calender week ending Sunday January 29, 2006" (rosters come out on Thursdays). This way, they don't have to try and cover shifts and stuff. They may tell you you don't need to/they don't want you to, but at least then they have the option of it.

I also wouldn't do it over the phone. I don't know if they'd accept it or not...but, really, its kinda the equivalent of breaking up over SMS.

*Minka*

HSC
I don't think it is inappropiate to ask for a reference - these jobs are for young people to get a start and they are going to quit when they get a better oppourtunity. If you are quitting for something more along the lines of what you want to do / somewhere with more hours, there is nothing wrong with that. Of course, you can just let them think you are even if you are not ;)

Letters are best - you can give it to someone to pass on and don't have to be there when they read it.

Either way, CONGRATULATIONS on getting away from Coles Myer!

Scanorama

HSC
Make sure you have a good reason to quit, not just 'I don't feel like working in this shit hole anymore', something like increased uni works/moving etc etc are acceptable and will probably get you a reference, if you didn't get fire, why would they have problems giving you reference?

Don't resign over the phone, letter is the best way.

Amen to what Minka said, Congratulations on leaving Coles Myer, Kmart was so fucked when I worked there last year.

Nelly_04

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will definitely hand in a letter, but talk to my supervisor over the phone first (especially since I haven't worked in over a month since I've been overseas.) It might be nicer to talk to her and let her know I'm back, then her being surprised by a letter on her desk. I'm still a bit daunted by doing both (since this is first job and I've never been in the situation before.)

My reason for leaving is a greater uni workload, and that I would be searching for a job closer to uni. I hope those reasons would be alright for a reference!

Anyhow thanks for the help!

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Just don't let them hook you into staying. When I tried to resign, they offered me a one day a week shift and I thought, "fair enough" but it became really annoying. So I eventually resigned.

Last edited:

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
I used to work for them too, and definitely dont regret leaving - have a much better job now working for general pants group company.

But in response yes you do have to give notice, yes you should do it in person, and yes they will provide you with a reference type letter but its not so much a personal appraisal, mostly just to note how long you were employed there for and how your attendance was etc. its a standardised form that they fill out for anybody who wishes to have a proof of employment certificate for use in a resume. they "dont do references", thats the best youll get, unless you get on really well with someone important there and you ask them personally for a character reference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)