• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Quotas/Scaling/Ranking - Clarification needed! (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Can anyone give me a definitive answer on how marks are awarded at UNSW? If it varies by faculty, Commerce would be what i'm interested in.

Is there a limit to how many people can get certain marks? As in, are marks scaled/ranked and then P/C/D/HD's are distributed according to quotas? In a sentence, is there any element of competition like the HSC or can everyone get a HD if they perform at a certain level?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
i say its quota based....
but, i did get to see the stats for fins2624...majority of students got Cr's, and only 2 out of a few hundred failed.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
it is different for every course
but even if you knew what course you wanted information in, the figures will vary every session

Acid

HSC
redslert said:
it is different for every course
but even if you knew what course you wanted information in, the figures will vary every session
But the method they use to distribute marks has to be the same each session right?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
those kinds of administrative details will never be released to students

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Acid said:
Can anyone give me a definitive answer on how marks are awarded at UNSW? If it varies by faculty, Commerce would be what i'm interested in.

Is there a limit to how many people can get certain marks? As in, are marks scaled/ranked and then P/C/D/HD's are distributed according to quotas? In a sentence, is there any element of competition like the HSC or can everyone get a HD if they perform at a certain level?
What difference does it make?! I'm sorry but if you work hard and understand the work and do well in te exam, you will get HD.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
This grade distribution should be roughly correct:

HD: 0 - 10%
DN: 35 - 45%
CR: 30 - 40%
PS: 10 - 20%
FL: 0 - 5%

These are only guidelines that course convenors are expected to work within. The actual distributions are allowed to vary from these guidelines if the variation can be justified with reference to the quality of work being produced by students.

See also the gumleaf diagram in A Guide to UNSW Grades.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the School of Accounting and School of Economics use the bell curve (obviously with adjustments). Lecturers in first year accounting have said usually 20% of 1A and 1B fail, however that's just due to them not deserving to pass, not being unlucky and ranked low.

Acid

HSC
OK, thanks guys. And Survivor, it's not about getting a HD - it's more that i'm curious to know how it works and since i'm like the only person in Commerce that didn't do 3/4u maths (I did 2u adv), if the marks are ranked I could be royally screwed in QMA! :)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Acid said:
OK, thanks guys. And Survivor, it's not about getting a HD - it's more that i'm curious to know how it works and since i'm like the only person in Commerce that didn't do 3/4u maths (I did 2u adv), if the marks are ranked I could be royally screwed in QMA! :)
:p
3 ppl in my qma tute did general....

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Lazarus said:
This grade distribution should be roughly correct:

HD: 0 - 10%
DN: 35 - 45%
CR: 30 - 40%
PS: 10 - 20%
FL: 0 - 5%

These are only guidelines that course convenors are expected to work within. The actual distributions are allowed to vary from these guidelines if the variation can be justified with reference to the quality of work being produced by students.
In BIOC2101 Principles of Biochemistry (Advanced) the distribtion is significantly different. The lecturer showed us the distribution of grades in the first lecture.
Something like:

HD: 5 - 15%
DN: 10 - 15%
CR: 15 - 20%
PS: 45 -55%
FL: 10 - 15%

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
hmmm....

I remember them saying at the transition day.. that it's possible for EVERYONE to get a HD in a course.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Eagles said:
I remember them saying at the transition day.. that it's possible for EVERYONE to get a HD in a course.
Hahah.

No. :)

Ghost

Lost
HSC
trust me having Dr. Jie Du teaching Discreate Maths 1081 to first years....anything is possible

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Ghost said:
trust me having Dr. Jie Du teaching Discreate Maths 1081 to first years....anything is possible
oi stop whinging
i have dr du as my tutor, so instead of seeing him every second topic i have the great misery of seeing him everyweek

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
In some courses with many essays etc they definately bell curve results (eg, philosophy). In contrast courses with a large multiple choice component (eg. psychology 1a/b) can have many students in the higher brakctes because unlike essays (subjective) your either right or wrong in m/c

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)