Quoting a quote? (1 Viewer)

Famine

HSC
I'm doing some last minute revision for tomorrow, I am preparing my quotes from On Giants Shoulders by Melvyn Braggs. In the book, Braggs has quoted a professor from some university as follows:

“It is complicated because they did not think of her as a thinker, but they did not think of her as a woman either. Because a woman must not think and a thinker must not be a woman” ~ Francoise Balibar, Professor of Physics, Paris University.

However I want to use this quote in my essay as I can use it to show the struggle that women had in society at that time. Can I use it even though Braggs didnt write it himself?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Was the professor a character or was that quote used as an epigraph to a chapter?

If it is a character state "The character of Professor Balibar states '........' which is indicative of the struggle experienced by women in .... "

If it was used as an epigraph, then state that as a technique and say it is indicative of the struggle experienced by women...

Owyn

HSC
definately not, you might be able to in the module questions, but aos is very focused on the texts. If you really like it your better off stealing what the quote says and claiming it as your own. If you quote it your saying you dont actually know how the composers done it, but someone else believes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)