Quoting a related text (1 Viewer)

55psi

HSC
Hey guys,
For one of my related texts i am doing Salvador Dali's painting, The Persistence of Memory. And for my assessment, it says "to give one quotation with accompanying explanation of what the quotation indicates to us about I.J".
Now you obviously can't quote a painting, would u have to pick out a part of the painting and provide an explanation of that? Or would i quote an analyses of the painting by someone...?

Cheers
Jason

P

pLuvia

If you don't have words to quote, quote any part of the painting that reflects the imaginary journey. The explain it in terms of imaginary journey

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
hehehe if you have done some art theory at school, then this is going to be easy. analyse it as a visual text, in the same realms of the cartoon, of a photo, of a film.

consider such things like:

-comparing the size and orientation of shapes
-colours used --> dark, light, mixed, monocoloured --> evokes different atmospheres
-juxtapositioning/positioning of the objects, relationships drawn between objects, backgrounds, colours, lines, textures, etc.
-doing deeper --> might also like to consider the medium used --> i think its oil painting --> oils are good for fine detail, for painting 3D objects, good for painting objects very realistically. might also like to consider the brushstrokes as well, to convey movement or direction.
-might like to consider things like unity, proportion, harmony, patterning, contrast, blendings...

remember to point to specific examples in the painting to illustrate ur point.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
one small thing. you might like to also quote the caption under the painting. --> IE the title, the artist name, the year it was painted, the medium used, the dimensions of the painting. --> this will provide valuable information in terms of explaining the painting.

extra information, like to whom it was comissioned to, what message does it try to illustrate, can help in ur analysis as well.

55psi

HSC
hey thanks man, u seem to be pretty pro with arts. I did consider all those things u've just said when i was writing about the 'technique' of how it bought about being an Imaginative journey.
But the thing that made the my lightbulb glow was analysing the title as being the quote and other things..

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
no problems mate. i did art all through high school, but had to drop HSC visual arts because i was doing too many units (14 then) *sigh*

one thing --> i wouldnt necessarily say the title is an acceptable 'quote' as such --> what is more important is fitting that TITLE and the artwork that carries its name in CONTEXT with when the artwork was painted.

one small suggestion --> salvador dali is moving away from the very conservative, classic art forms, like those of Leonardo di Vinci, Caravaggio, Raphael, etc...--> adding a tone of surrealism. that art movement in itself was radical and caused much change and controversy AT THE TIME the painting was made --> hence the idea of the imaginative 'journey' through art history, the movement from conservative --> romanticist --> modernist/surrealism/cubist --> post-modernist --> contempoary.

but i wouldnt consider writing about all this in this depth --> the most is probably a mentioning of the impact the painting had in its CONTEXT --> salvador dali paints an image of a 'imaginative' journey RELATIVE to the audience of those days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)