Quoting from the textbook (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Don't say, like, I dunno,

"Akhenaten liked a cigar and a whiskey after a hard day of worshipping the Aten" - Antiquity 2,

say

"Akhenaten liked a cigar and a whiskey after a hard day of worshipping the Aten" - <The name of whoever wrote Antiquity 2>

Or if you can't remember the exact quote,

<Author of antiquity 2> suggests that Akhenaten may have had an inclination toward cigars and whiskey as part of his religious duty.

Last edited:

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you could say that: <author of antiquity 2> has inferred from these primary sources <list sources> such and such.

DO NOT quote from textbooks, use them to justify what you believe the primary sources state!!

See problems of pamela bradley thread for more info!!

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
angelduck said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you could say that: <author of antiquity 2> has inferred from these primary sources <list sources> such and such.

DO NOT quote from textbooks, use them to justify what you believe the primary sources state!!

See problems of pamela bradley thread for more info!!
Like we've been shown conclusively in the Pam Bradley thread, you don't get marked down for quoting a textbook.

It is preferable to use primary sources, but to expect students to constantly quote 'real historians' is the reason why there's such a problem with making up quotes.

Starting this year, there's a huge crackdown on misinformation and people feeling like they can't quote Bradley and Lawless.

If you disagree, you can always ask Rob, the only HSC marker on this board.

No reasonable HSC student has read Gardiner, Redford, Breasted, or the classical Egyptology books. By saying 'you can't quote textbooks', you're saying that students have to go read these cumbersome texts. It's impossible and will eventually get you worse marks.

Lawless and Bradley put a lot of quotations in their books, use them if you can. Don't feel pressured to make up bullshit- you will get caught out.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
sorry, should have been more specific there, okay, dont JUST quote textbooks. It is okay to quote these, but back up with actual sources like the other example. You can state what the historians infer from other sources. There is a good example of how to do this in the Egypt thread (entitled, read my Thutmose essay i think..)

To restate - you can quote textbooks, but dont just quote them use them to justify what primary sources state. This is easy to do with Bradly, coz she basically just infers stuff from primary sources, and in the back of the book it says which source she uses (in one of theb appendixes)
Hope that clears it up. Sorry if i wasnt specific enough

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
angelduck said:
sorry, should have been more specific there, okay, dont JUST quote textbooks. It is okay to quote these, but back up with actual sources like the other example. You can state what the historians infer from other sources. There is a good example of how to do this in the Egypt thread (entitled, read my Thutmose essay i think..)

To restate - you can quote textbooks, but dont just quote them use them to justify what primary sources state. This is easy to do with Bradly, coz she basically just infers stuff from primary sources, and in the back of the book it says which source she uses (in one of theb appendixes)
Hope that clears it up. Sorry if i wasnt specific enough
Excellent! Band 6 response! :D

It's pretty simple.

Primary Evidence > Old-school historians > New-school historians > text-book historians.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
rhapsody11 said:
Primary Evidence > Old-school historians > New-school historians > text-book historians.
...>2nd year uni historians/students > hsc students > those who enjoy doing maths and science.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
...>2nd year uni historians/students > hsc students > those who enjoy doing maths and science.
Are you also suggesting that 2nd year uni students > 1st year ones? :eek:

niteshade1312

HSC
You should never quote pam bradly anyways because shes not a historian, she is actually a text book writer!

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
niteshade1312 said:
You should never quote pam bradly anyways because shes not a historian, she is actually a text book writer!
Wow, thanks for the new development contrary to what has been officially told to us.

Try again next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)