Quoting or Paraphrasing? (2 Viewers)

Paroissien

HSC
What do you consider better, and more importantly, does anyone know what the markers prefer?

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I think that markers would be quite pleased if you do manage to remember an EXACT quote from a particular historian in ur essay. Because the multitude you have to know can end up confusing u in the exam and u might forget which quote went with which historian! (it happened to me with agrippina the younger last year in the HSC! ended up paraphrasing quite a bit) Paraphrasing is a great way to save ur bacon I think... but also another way of showing that you understand the historian's perspective and you are thus able to put it in your own words. Markers like that too of course! But I recall my teacher saying that quoting is far better then paraphrasing... but he could have been wrong since he wasn't that good a teacher.

good luck!

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
If u can place exact quotes into ur scentences, like ur supposed to in english, this is probably better, i think exact quotes make u sound smarter, but in some cases, if its a long qoute, paraphrase it so its smaller and easier to understand, the smaller the exact quote the better, coz its less to memorise!!!

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Use the exact quote if you remember it, otherwise paraphrase.

Plebeian

I agree with angelduck, exact quotes are good but only if they are integrated ... you can't just lump in a 2-line quote and not explain its relevance.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
quotes with actual reference

ie footnote it :)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
exact quotes are always better because they give the impression that you've done your own research rather than just reading a textbook which says "Herodotus tells us..." However, if you can't remember the exact quote, than paraphrase - it reflects better on your work to have paraphrased than to have quoted inaccurately (as this shows you don't know your material)

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
quotes with actual reference

ie footnote it :)
They don't expect you to footnote it do they? Like putting a page number and book that the quote came from. Not in the actual hsc.

HSC
yeh my teacher said it's fine to just say Herodotus said, plutarch says etc. But if you can remember quotes, nice work! ;)

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
Remember a few important quotes that you know you will use in an essay

Like for greece, I remember the one about Themistocles saving Greece because he persuaded them to become a maritime power, because I know I will use it in one about Themistocles, Greek Navy, Greek victory against Persia, etc...

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
I got in trouble for footnoting my sources in an essay - big arrow saying "don't do this! No wonder you ran out of time". very true, it's a waste of time. Just stick it in brackets if you're lazy, otherwise work the historian's name into the sentence beore quoting.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
gemita said:
I got in trouble for footnoting my sources in an essay - big arrow saying "don't do this! No wonder you ran out of time". very true, it's a waste of time. Just stick it in brackets if you're lazy, otherwise work the historian's name into the sentence beore quoting.
im not sure why putting a footnote citing the source would make you run out of time...
in terms of structure - you should never have brackets in an essay. EVER. a bracket is an aside - ie. something you've deemed isn't on-topic and important to the essay. so, if it is important, put it in the essay properly. if it's not, why the hell are you wasting your time putting in irrelevant information?

Paroissien

HSC
Personally I've just always worked the historians name into the essay, for example "as Tacitus states..." and it's always worked fine for me.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
oh...AP Lewis is a historian that we made up at the end of last year. all of our ancient history class uses him...we came up with a theory but our teacher reckons everything is shit unless a "proper" historian wrote it - so we made one up and she thought it was all great. now we use him in everything...its remarkable how he just has the perfect quote for everything...:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)