Radial Magnetic Fields - homemade? (1 Viewer)

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
I'm making a DC Motor for school. and since we can't used commercially produced parts, and only simple magnets or home-made elctro-magnets.

I was wondering is it possible to home-make a radial magnetic field? possible with electro-magnets?

thanks.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
HNCS said:
I'm making a DC Motor for school. and since we can't used commercially produced parts, and only simple magnets or home-made elctro-magnets.

I was wondering is it possible to home-make a radial magnetic field? possible with electro-magnets?

thanks.
electromagnets ?

i used one to deliberately ruin my mum's important data stored on floppy disks including her resume when i got pissed at her when i was 11.

give this a try:
Wrap a LONG wire (1 metre or more preferred) with many turns around a screwdriver (the longer the better, about 15cm at least), connect a 9V battery to the ends of a wire, DONE !
Place near small screws (or if you are 11 try on floppy disks containing important data) ... i dont know if this works coz theres gotta be a changing electric current for a magnetic field.

i dont know how to built a homemade motor.
dont ask me how to make a bell. it needs comercially produced parts.

thehootman

HSC
You dont need radial magnets. So forget about making your own.

That has to be the most ridiculous assignment i've ever heard. "No commercially made parts". So you're expected to go and get the copper ore, smelt it, and extrude it into winding wire are you?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i believe your teacher meant you cannot just buy a motor car, dissect it and use it instead of not doing any work...

i believe you can use magnets... otherwise you'd have to use fenri's suggestion... cept make sure the wire and nail do not contact each other... you will find they short circuit...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
xiao1985 said:
i believe your teacher meant you cannot just buy a motor car, dissect it and use it instead of not doing any work...

i believe you can use magnets... otherwise you'd have to use fenri's suggestion... cept make sure the wire and nail do not contact each other... you will find they short circuit...
Insulated wire.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
xiao1985 said:
ohh.. yes... they got insulated wires these days... my apology...

=p
i'm familiar with to types of wire used for simple applications ..

1. the usual wire, just copper thread core wrapped in plastic, around a few mm thick.

2. enamel wire - contains a single thread of copper, just less than 1mm thick, and will NOT conduct because there's enamel coated.
you use sandpaper to sand off of ONLY what you need which exposes the copper for conduction, ideal for very thin electrical contacts. you see them in them dc motor kits used in the windings of a rotor.

im pretty good at motors & generators, because ive played with a dc motor when i was younger.

thehootman

HSC
That "enamel" wire is called "winding wire". It can come in anything from 10mm to 0.1mm.

I havnt lost a mark at M&G because i have built several of my own motors and have repaired and tinkered with many motors of all kinds and read up on them. ;)
BTW the syllabus teaches you LIES.

tom101007

HSC
you can use several normal magnets ie. not radial and arange them in a circular fashion around your rotor, (its most likely going to be a hexagon or octagon)
and i guess you could make lots of electromagnets and arange them in a circle too

also note that you dont need an alternating current in an electromagnet cause then the poles of the electromagnet would be alternating and while thats fine for wiping a floppy disk it wont run a motor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)