Radioisotope (1 Viewer)

dwatt

HSC
Did anyone else find it difficult to frame a 7 mark response on an industrial AND medical isotope, while evaluating their impact on society, in such a tiny little space?

Had to write TINY...though it was a little slack of them.

dwatt

HSC
Oh yeah the question was great (plenty to talk about). I just didn't like the space they gave us to do it justice!

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
I filled up about 5 extra lines under and I cut myself off from rambling too much lol. I think I may only get 6 out of 7 because I wrote so much for my medical one (first) and then wrote about half of that for my industrial one because I was running out of space.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
dwatt said:
Oh yeah the question was great (plenty to talk about). I just didn't like the space they gave us to do it justice!
In English we must write as much as possible and here in Chemistry and probably Physics I will be forced to use my small handwriting and write a lot.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Martyno1 said:
I filled up about 5 extra lines under and I cut myself off from rambling too much lol. I think I may only get 6 out of 7 because I wrote so much for my medical one (first) and then wrote about half of that for my industrial one because I was running out of space.
I've known the questions aren't 'Tell me everything you know' so that prevented me from rambling on too much.

dwatt

HSC
Yeah that's true. But still...can't wait to retreat to physics for a week when 2u is over, depsite the need for miniscule writing.

codyjh

HSC
filled up the whole page then had to go onto the other page underneath the lead acid battery question :|. prob wrote to much lol

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
dwatt said:
Yeah that's true. But still...can't wait to retreat to physics for a week when 2u is over, depsite the need for miniscule writing.
If you are doing Quanta to Quarks or Medical Physics, this radioisotope stuff will still be useful to you, but I'm doing Astrophysics, easy but boring.

I've got maths 2U, IPT THEN maths 3U :(.
Then given the same 4 day break for only one subject ...

amyg238

HSC
Martyno1 said:
Me too!

I had to write tiny, and then put an asterix to the top and wrote like vertically. I got the supervisor guy to check that it was legible and he said it was fine, just highlighted the two asterixes.

Yeah, that question was so open to talk about anything, really broad. I hope I didnt screw it up.

dwatt

HSC
"If you are doing Quanta to Quarks or Medical Physics, this radioisotope stuff will still be useful to you, but I'm doing Astrophysics, easy but boring.

I've got maths 2U, IPT THEN maths 3U .
Then given the same 4 day break for only one subject ..."

------------------------------

(Sorry, don't know how to quote). Yeah I do quanta to quarks - love it. Love the fact that three of the dotpoints are identical to the chem ones. SO yes - I can just remember all that info about tc-99m and sodium 24!

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Martyno1 said:
Yeah, same. Is it right to say Cobalt - 60 because it has a half life of 5.3 years is good to use in industry because it doesn't have to be replaced as often? It didn't seem right to me when i was writing it.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
dwatt said:
"If you are doing Quanta to Quarks or Medical Physics, this radioisotope stuff will still be useful to you, but I'm doing Astrophysics, easy but boring.

I've got maths 2U, IPT THEN maths 3U .
Then given the same 4 day break for only one subject ..."

------------------------------

(Sorry, don't know how to quote). Yeah I do quanta to quarks - love it. Love the fact that three of the dotpoints are identical to the chem ones. SO yes - I can just remember all that info about tc-99m and sodium 24!
They're the exact same isotopes I used !
I stated the half-life, use and decay/emission of these two isotopes.

EDIT: I could have used Strontium-90 or Iodine-131 as well.

dwatt

HSC
Yeah, I think they are the best/easiest to do. I also talked about how they are created in nuclear reactors (tried to fit in tiny little nuclear equations) to talk about the social/environmental impact of waste disposal. Just wanted more space!

Then again...don't BOS keep saying that "the space provided is adequate to score full marks".

We'll see...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
dwatt said:
Yeah, I think they are the best/easiest to do. I also talked about how they are created in nuclear reactors (tried to fit in tiny little nuclear equations) to talk about the social/environmental impact of waste disposal. Just wanted more space!

Then again...don't BOS keep saying that "the space provided is adequate to score full marks".

We'll see...
I was going to mention that regardless of any isotope they emit dangerous and harmful radiation and therefore isotopes must be used very carefully but my rant seems to have been too much.

Armenikum

HSC
I used another booklet and filled up around 2-3 more pages...........is that not allowed?

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Armenikum said:
I used another booklet and filled up around 2-3 more pages...........is that not allowed?
Holy crap what did you write about?

I had to squeeze in tiny writing at the bottom of the page but I couldn't have written that much more.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Fish Sauce said:
Holy crap what did you write about?

I had to squeeze in tiny writing at the bottom of the page but I couldn't have written that much more.
Same. What radioisotopes did you use? I used Cobalt - 60 and Iodine - 131.

Cobalt - 60 used to sterilize medical equipment (industry)

Iodine - 131 used to treat thyroid cancer in the thyroid gland. (medicine)

Romina

HSC
Armenikum said:
i did that too! i reallly hope it's allowed...it was like the only question i could answer confidently! but i know another girl in my class did that too...and the supervisors didn't say anything about it...

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Shrikar said:
Same. What radioisotopes did you use? I used Cobalt - 60 and Iodine - 131.

Cobalt - 60 used to sterilize medical equipment (industry)

Iodine - 131 used to treat thyroid cancer in the thyroid gland. (medicine)
I did Strontium-90 and Carbon-11

Except now I'm really paranoid that I wrote Carbon-10 by mistake, which I think did. Damn it why did I have to know how it was produced? That actually screwed me. Hopefully that mistake won't affect my mark too much, depends if the markers feel like being assholes or not (and whether or not I actually made the mistake)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)