Radioisotope (1 Viewer)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
iodine 131! that's the one I referred to but forgot the actual name. Yeah I used Tc-99m for body disorder diagnosis, Co-60 for sterilisation - was going to talk about metal defects but had no space, and iodine radioisotopes for thyroid gland stuff and that its beta rays can accumulate in one area and destroy healthy tissues

codyjh

HSC
was such a good 7 marker

technitium -99 for medical - diagonistic tracer - ataches to haeglobin etc

americium - ... - for industrial use as smoke alarm
cobalt -60 - used for measure thickness in metals/ structures

ties in wit physics :D

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
wait i`m lost : are you supposed to keep the amount you write to the amount of lines they give ? they gave us so much space underneath ... so i kinda went right down to the bottom - but my writing's pretty big lol , so yeah =]

i had quite a bit to talk about - used Co-60 and Na-24.

aja152

HSC
N/A
Armenikum said:
I used another booklet and filled up around 2-3 more pages...........is that not allowed?
r u serious? are we talking about the same questions here= the radioisotope 7marker?
gee what did you write about,,, i heard if you write too much, they disregard the rest and just stop reading. you might lose marks that way,, well based on what i heard. i guess if you stuck to the main concept of the question, it wouldnt matter.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
codyjh said:
was such a good 7 marker

Did you actually do Am-241? I was expecting to be the only person to write that, but oh well.

ajdlinux

HSC
Armenikum said:
The head supervisor strung my booklet with my industrial booklet after i told her theyw ere different sections but she is like no, they just need to knwo how many writing booklets were used, so im like fine. I labelled the section and question on the booklet, so they can distinguish that, but i forgot to mention on the original yellow booklet that the asnwer is continued ------ouch, so I emailed BOS to see what happens from here - it should be picked up by a marker/examiner and matched to the student number and section 1 continued, but yea, emailed just in case.

Arghh, this better work out, I am not sacrificing 3 extra pages and marks for that.l
You're allowed to do it, but as others have said it's not going to get you any extra marks. They always give you enough room to get full marks for a question. Don't write three pages when there's only one page of lines.

Armenikum

HSC
aja152 said:
r u serious? are we talking about the same questions here= the radioisotope 7marker?
gee what did you write about,,, i heard if you write too much, they disregard the rest and just stop reading. you might lose marks that way,, well based on what i heard. i guess if you stuck to the main concept of the question, it wouldnt matter.
You cannot lose marks.

What you heard, you misinterpreted. If you write 'too much' anf they stop reading, it is because they have awarded you the full marks and dont need to read the rest - not because it is long.

And yes, most of it was in regards to the question. It is a 7 mark question, you are meant to show in-depth knowledge and go beyond statements about it, if you have done, then there is the chance you may nto be awarded the full 7 marks.

Armenikum

HSC
ajdlinux said:
You're allowed to do it, but as others have said it's not going to get you any extra marks. They always give you enough room to get full marks for a question. Don't write three pages when there's only one page of lines.
The thing is - and I dont know why, I wrote on all the lines, but didnt continue below the space, as i thought it wouldnt look neat - so i used a new booklet. They wont give you 'extra marks', they will give you x out of 7 marks. You are misguided if you think they wont mark a student's answer if is continued in another booklet.

And where have 'others said its not going to get you any extra marks"?

ajdlinux

HSC
Armenikum said:
The thing is - and I dont know why, I wrote on all the lines, but didnt continue below the space, as i thought it wouldnt look neat - so i used a new booklet. They wont give you 'extra marks', they will give you x out of 7 marks. You are misguided if you think they wont mark a student's answer if is continued in another booklet.

And where have 'others said its not going to get you any extra marks"?
Yes, they do give you X out of 7 marks. It's just an issue of whether the marker judges you have answered the question not just correctly, but well. What I mean by 'extra marks' is that writing for three pages won't guarantee 7/7.

And, I don't think anyone cares about how neat it looks.

Also, in response to your last sentence, that was a bit of extrapolating ;)

Armenikum

HSC
I rememebr now. My response was a bit like an essay, it had paragraphs and indenting, and my writing isnt small either.

I'll have to contest about neatness not being an issue - a paragraphed and indented response well set-out with continual reference to the question at hand would be more appealing than a block of texts with hardly any spacing, and a series of statements and a brief line of evaluation.

No?

ajdlinux

HSC
Armenikum said:
I rememebr now. My response was a bit like an essay, it had paragraphs and indenting, and my writing isnt small either.

I'll have to contest about neatness not being an issue - a paragraphed and indented response well set-out with continual reference to the question at hand would be more appealing than a block of texts with hardly any spacing, and a series of statements and a brief line of evaluation.

No?
Well, I think a marker who marks the same text differently on the basis of neatness deserves the sack. Many of the smartest people around are messy writers, like myself.

codyjh

HSC
ajdlinux said:
Did you actually do Am-241? I was expecting to be the only person to write that, but oh well.

yeah i did Am-241 and Cobalt - 60. figured i would do both :S. lol

Armenikum

HSC
ajdlinux said:
Well, I think a marker who marks the same text differently on the basis of neatness deserves the sack. Many of the smartest people around are messy writers, like myself.
Please, you are misreading. The word appealing does not mean a marker will mark differently. But anyway, enough of this, what do you think your raw mark was?

ajdlinux

HSC
Armenikum said:
Please, you are misreading. The word appealing does not mean a marker will mark differently. But anyway, enough of this, what do you think your raw mark was?
Well, if the case is that it's just neater, I really don't care as it all gets shredded and recycled in the end ;)

I want to get 70-80% hopefully. For the radioisotope question in particular, I think I should get at least 5/7.

Armenikum

HSC
ajdlinux said:
Well, if the case is that it's just neater, I really don't care as it all gets shredded and recycled in the end ;)

I want to get 70-80% hopefully. For the radioisotope question in particular, I think I should get at least 5/7.
What is stopping you from a 7? Besides neatness :p (i joke)

ajdlinux

HSC
Having thought about it after reading here I could have written it a bit better and done a bit more on impact on society.

Rough outline of what I wrote:
* Radioisotopes make a big impact in society
* In medicine they are used for diagnosis and treatment
* e.g. Tc-99m is used for diagnosis of circulation issues etc. as it's a gamma emitter etc
* In industry they are used for many things, e.g. checking thickness or obstructions
* e.g. Am-241 is used to detect smoke particles as it's an alpha emitter
* If we didn't have radioisotopes a lot of things we take for granted would be a lot more difficult and would need complicated electromechanical solutions

I could get 6 or 7 if the markers are nice ;)

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
I'm rather glad that this question came up as a 7 mark question, seeing as I did this so many times >.>;
I did Tc-99m for medical and Co-60 for industrial. Basically listed the properties of the two, talked about avaliability of non invasive diagnosis and time effecient detection of fractures in machinery respectively. Hope I get full marks, tho I tend to miss the last few mark in the short answer section of chem papers unless it's calculations, so I'm guessing it'll be a 5, which I'll also be happy with ^.^

Kmara2nv

HSC
if i just put down americium and spoke about it but didnt mention americium 241 do i loose one whole mark even though i spoke about it bing a smaoke alarm and shit

*Aimee*

HSC
codyjh said:
was such a good 7 marker

Hey! Me too. I did Tecnetium 99 & Americium 241.
Then i started writing about cobalt 60 for sterilisation of medical instruments.
My writing was so tiny think they may need a magnifying glass.......... or a microscope! lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)