Ralphs analysis (1 Viewer)

r.haidar

not crusin til schoolies!
HSC
just my opinion. im probably wrong... the paper is here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=89770

feel free to argue this is how i think people will have went on each question, judging by posts in this forum lol:

QUESTION 1:
Fairly simple, some people had trouble with factorising.. ? alot of easy marks will be lost here

QUESTION 2:
extremely straight-forward standard question.. not 1 part in this question was hard

QUESTION 3:
Should not have been many mistakes here, another straight-forward question 3... with the graphs question

QUESTION 4:
troubles remembering forumlae for part a) - the pendulum.... but part b) should have been easy

QUESTION 5:
Another straightforward standard q5.. shouldnt have been many errors here, easy marks given left right n centre... probability question may have had people worried with abstract answers

QUESTION 6:
started feeling more like a challenge here, the related rates question would be confusing to some, because of the abstract nature of the equation given, and the double differenciation. part c was difficult.

QUESTION 7
part a) was easy, b) may have been challenging for those who didnt study this topic (there were alot of people i know who didnt)

QUESTION 8
part a) was simple, no drama's here, except if u didnt know where u were going lol... most "candidates" will have thought part ii) (proving the max volume) was hard. part b) and c) were difficult

QUESTION 9
first part was straightforward, and the examiners were looking to give marks out here... me thinks people did not study this part. part b) was a challenge.. but me thinks alot of relief was feel'd once people understood where sin^3 theta came from lol

QUESTION 10 - sorry but it must be revisited lol
part a) would have been good for 3u kids, pretty basic, but the algebraic manipulation would have been time consuming. and the infamous part b) this will go down, no doubt as one of the hardest, not the hardest but one of...

thats just my thoughts, chances are im completely wrong but im sure some people can agree with certain facts... that is all

peace out
ralph

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
there's no way this year's question 10 was more difficult than the 2000 snowplough q.

imo.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Basically agree with ya on all that, most likely i lost a lot of marks due to stupid mistakes, and question 10 was definately one of the hardest question 10s i've seen - this was the hardest paper in atleast 5 years, i think it was harder than 03...

rama_v

HSC
Yeah Question 10 was no way more difficult than in 2000
The 2000 was so obscure and ridiculous, and it was worth four marks!

But what did make question 10 in this exam so hard was the time factor, little else.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Jago said:
there's no way this year's question 10 was more difficult than the 2000 snowplough q.

imo.
i agree that it was harder but look at 10a of the 2000 paper, 6 easy marks in a q10- all of this years q10 was quite hard

HSC
You guys are ridiculous, "question 10 was definately one of the hardest question 10s i've seen - this was the hardest paper in atleast 5 years", have you actually ever viewed or attempted the questions from those years? I will have gotten 11 out of 12 in today's paper yet I would have struggled to get more than 6 in the last 4 years in Q10

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i agree skyrockets. i did the papers from the past papers book, and Q10 was hard, harder than last year's, harder than most years'.

i didn't like the second part of question 9 either, the first part was fine.

question 8 was ......ok i guess. i couldn't get all of (c) and (a). idno if my (b) answer was right. some people had different views.

question 7...well, first part, normal. second part, i did at the last minute coz my mind went kinda blank when i first looked at it, and when i went back to it, we had 2 minutes left, so it was rushed, and didn't think about it much.

questions 1-6 were normal, as any other paper.

-i was actually happy they had a question to with simpsons rule or trapezoidal rule(they had simpsons obviously)....because i just couldn't get the formulas stuck into my head so i write them in different colours on paper and stuck em on my wall...and it managed to work!

r.haidar

HSC
skyrockets1530 said:
i agree that it was harder but look at 10a of the 2000 paper, 6 easy marks in a q10- all of this years q10 was quite hard
word. part a was ok but still a challenge...

rama_v

HSC
Trippendicular said:
You guys are ridiculous, "question 10 was definately one of the hardest question 10s i've seen - this was the hardest paper in atleast 5 years", have you actually ever viewed or attempted the questions from those years? I will have gotten 11 out of 12 in today's paper yet I would have struggled to get more than 6 in the last 4 years in Q10
Actually while the previous years questions might look challenging the thing to remember is that they are all just differneitation and minimisation/maximisation. Once you get past the algebra its actually very simple.

But in todays question it requried a fair bit of logical thinking

r.haidar

HSC
Trippendicular said:
depends on where ur strong points are, most of the last papers are integration/differenciation... if ur bad at them obviously ull find it hard... todays was algebraic manipulation and i dont think many students were prepared for it... looking at the patterns of diff/integ... u would assume another question would arise in this paper, but it didnt... and thats why people thought it was hard... its an opinion thing so ur not wrong... but ur not right

^___^
HSC
r.haidar said:
depends on where ur strong points are, most of the last papers are integration/differenciation... if ur bad at them obviously ull find it hard... todays was algebraic manipulation and i dont think many students were prepared for it... looking at the patterns of diff/integ... u would assume another question would arise in this paper, but it didnt... and thats why people thought it was hard... its an opinion thing so ur not wrong... but ur not right

hsc mathematics (2u -> 4u) is known to be calculus orientated more..that is, they focus slightly less than algebra, and when they do, the topics are not wide range enough.

mattchan

HSC
The exam was straight forward but challenging. You basically had to recall all knowledge to work for your marks, and it was harder than the 2005 Catholic Trial. Like Rama said, it was more a time factor than sheer difficulty. That snow ploughing question in 2000 was alot harder.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Trippendicular said:
I respectfully disagree, i've done all the past papers, in their entirety, from 93-2004- the hardest papers in that time were 93 and 97, 02 was pretty tough but not as hard as todays- but its an opinion thing as r.haider said.

Last edited:

MarsBarz

HSC
Q1:
Easy question. I'm an idiot and I made a mistake for f, found the focus to be 2, found the vertex to be (0,1), and then like a fucking retard I added the 2 to the x coordinate instead of the y coordinate and got (2,1) instead of (0,3) ! So stupid :/

Q2:
Straight forward, recognised a few tricks they were trying to pull (reading last year's examiner's comments thing was helpful). Ie: for (a), you had to give your two answers in radians and not in degrees since the domain was in radians.

Q3:
Straight forward, (c) was a bit confusing at first but I think I found the best way to answer all parts. I think I might have ommitted a reason for the ratios question (v), but I am not sure if they'll take away marks for that since it was a 1 mark question.

Q4:
Straight forward. Looking back on it I think that a made a HUGE mistake in (b). Think I got the points as -1, 3 instead of 1 ,-3 which lead to me getting a pt of horizontal inflexion and stuffing the rest of the question badly. :/ I knew I had made a mistake when my graph did not have anything concave down but I did not have time to go back and change it. I feel stupid about it now.

Q5:
Fairly easy. I'm quite sure I figured out the probability even though it turned out to be some ugly fractions. I hope I haven't made any calculator mistakes.

Q6:
Not too bad. I wasn't sure about (b iii) but I think I got it correct. Rest was simple.

Q7:
Getting a bit harder now. (a) was fairly simple, hope I haven't made any calculator mistakes.
(b) was one of the hardest question in that exam IMO. I haven't studied these types of questions enough and thus I struggled with the last 4 marks. I know in essance it's a simple question, my fault for not studying that topic enough.

Q8:
Very nice question. I liked it and felt very confident after getting (a). I'm quite sure I got (b) and (c) out. Although I wasn't 100% sure about the final 2 marks.

Q9:
Probably one of the easiest question in the exam IMO. I'm quite sure I managed to get everything correct for it.

Q10:
Really rushed on time for this one. I had read the first bit of it during reading time so I managed to get (a i. and ii.). They might award me one mark for (iii) but I am not sure.
I did not have time to attempt the rest. It's a real shame because looking back at the paper I realise that (b) wasn't so bad. I could have easily done at least (i) in a few seconds.

Overall:
I am not too sure what to think. I made a couple of silly mistakes here and there which I am quite disapointed about. I'm also disapointed that I did rush enough. I took too long on the first 6 questions which left me with very little time to do Q10.
I know I could have done better but it's over now. I guess my bad exam techniques killed me. I think 90+, possibly 95+ raw. Which is lower than the 105 which I got for trials. Hopefully it will at least equate to a low band 6.

Gotta study for extension French and Maths now.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i was lucky for q7 b iii, had one of those types of exams in an assessment and the trials

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
overall it was the hardest 2u paper in 10 years i reckon.

i got that 2000 snowplough one out easy. this one was just o___O" ---

all my uai hopes are gone haha

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The Captain's thoughts, briefly:

Q1 - That x³ - 27 caught me out. Aargh.

Q2 - Nothing unusual here.

Q3 - Same.

Q4 - Easy, but Q4 seems like a pretty early part of the paper to put in the obligatory calculus/sketching question, making it more time consuming (in the 1990's papers the equivalent of (b) usually showed up around question 6)

Q5 - SO lucky I read that thread about the change of base formula in the maths forum. The probablility question had really, really ugly answers. Not a difficult question, though.

Q6 - (b) Was almost EXACTLY the same as a question from 2002 :D. The integration took me 2 attempts to find the area they were looking for and I lost time in what is overall a pretty easy question.

Q7 - (a) Was straightforward series formulae, (b) Wasn't too bad for Q7. (hope the markers can read my graph)

Q8 - Aargh. I lost so much time here. (a) Was really easy because I practised those questions heaps. But (b) took me ages - I spent like 10 minutes trying to integrate sqrt(4-x²) before it dawned on me to use pi/4*r². I didn't get (c)(ii) out.

Q9 - Arrived at this question with like 15 minutes left, lucky (a) was straightforward or I'd have been really screwed. Didn't get out (b).

Q10 - Had no time to attempt this, probably could have picked up 4 - 10 marks if I'd had some time.

Overall: Too much fumbling around with integrations, robbed myself of a chance at getting into the last question. I found that Q1 - 8 weren't harder than previous years, but far more time consuming, possibly because I made more silly mistakes and had to go back more times due to exam-pressure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)