• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ram or Mobo Problem? (1 Viewer)

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
I've had random computer freezes for the past 7 months and today I found there appears to be RAM failure, although I'm not entirely sure yet so I hope someone here might know

I used HCI memtest hcidesign.com/memtest to test the RAM

Ok Please bear with me, as it'll get a bit complicated.

My Motherboard has 4 RAM slots. These are coloured. x2 are Orange and x2 are Purple. I use Dual Channel RAM, so as you would have guessed, both the RAM sticks are in either both the orange slots or purple slots: They are in the orange slots for me. I cannot have 1 RAM stick in the orange and 1 RAM stick in the purple as it would no longer be Dual channel.

First Task: I did was to test using HCI memtest in windows with both RAM sticks in Dual Channel. About 1% into the test, an error appeared. Thereafter consecutive errors also appeared.

Second: I took out 1 RAM stick (i.e. 512mb total RAM now) and tested it again using HCI memtest. This reported no errors up to 100%. I also did the same for the other RAM stick, also no errors were detected.

These two tests were carried out with the RAM sticks in the Orange Slots.

Third: I did the same as before except I this time the RAM sticks were inserted into the Purple Slots. They were singlely tested, again using HCI memtest. No errors were detected.

The story so far: Each 512mb RAM stick was tested individually, once in the orange slot and once in the purple slot. No errors were detected by the program individually.

Now, here comes the kicker.

I thought this was odd, as I had errors detected during the 1% with both RAM sticks in dual channel. So I proceeded to:

1) Test the RAM sticks in Dual Channel mode using the Purple Slots, (i.e. 2x 512mb) and sure enough before 2% approached, an error appeared detected by HCI memtest.

So.. I thought maybe it was due to Dual Channel. I proceeded to then place 1 RAM stick into 1 Orange slot and 1 RAM stick into the Purple Slot. This basically meant I effectively 1GB of RAM in the system, however it was not in dual channel mode.

2) Result? Errors were detected before 2% was reached by the program.

Now I'm very baffled to what's happening, I'm not particularly good with computers, on the technical side anyway, and I hope that some people with more know how are able to tell me what's happening!

Thanks for reading!

Melbournien

HSC
Sounds Interesting
Could you provide some further info

Single/double Ram
Motherboard
Ram brand

And is it possible for you to test either components on another machine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)