Random quiiestions from maths assignments help! (1 Viewer)

jackerino

HSC
Im stuck on a few questions of my maths assignment, quite a few actually. Please help someone!!??!

Q2. Simplify (n-1)C2+nC2 (Its a combination thing). State any restrictions that must be placed on n

Q3. (Idk how to go solve the resulting cubic) Solve 15/(2x-1)>or equal to x

Q7. Heres how to draw it: Draw a scalene triangle, and label the bottom right angle A, and clockwise add B and C to other angles. Now on BA there is a midpoint T. Connect T to C. ALso, on BC there is a point P. Connect A to P. Now AP intersects TC at E. AE is perpendicular to CT. TC bisects angle C. Connect E with M.
i) Prove triangle ACE is congruent to triangle PCE ( I cant find a third reason, only two)
ii) Explain why AE= EP (Matching sides congruent triangles from i)
iii) Hence prove EM is parallel to PB
This question is damn easy lolz I just cant seem to get the right result, how stupid of me -_-

Q12. A point P(x,y) moves so that the sum of the squares of its distance from the points A(0,4), B(0,-4), and C(6,3) is 77. Show that the locus is a circle and state its centre and radius.

Q15. Here's how to draw diagram: Draw a right angled triangle ABC, labelled clockwise from A at the top. Make C face west of the page. Now with AB as a common side, draw a reflection of the triangle, except extend the hypotenuse and AB further so A reaches to D, which is past B, and the hypotenuse reaches to E, such that the formed angle of ADE =90 degrees. Now connect C to E. CE intersects BD at F. Overall, triangle ABC is similar to triangle AD, and AB=a units. The ratio of similarity of AB:AD is k:l

Here are the questions:
a) Prove triangle FBC is similar to triangle FDE
b) find the ratio of the lengths BF to FD
c) SHow that FD=(al(l-k))/(k(l+k))
d) Given AB:AD=2:3, and FD is an integer, find the possible values of A.

Q16.

a) Prove tan(a+b+c)=(tana+tanb+tanc-tan(a)tan(b)tan(c))/(1-tanatanb-tanatanc-tanbtanc)
i)If a, b and c are the angles of a triangle, explain why tana+tanb+tanc-tanatanbtanc=0
b)Given tana/2=tanba/3=tanc/4=k, show that k=sqrt(6)/4
c) Hence find the size of a in degrees and minutes

SORRY ITS SO BIG! Its just super hard and im a bit confused. PLease help with working out!

jackerino

HSC
If someone could help with at least one question It'd be great :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
2) Turn the nCk notation to factorial notation, then cross multiply and simplify.

3) Guess one integer solution and once you have one, factorise your cubic to get a linear expression multiplied with a quadratic. Then factorise the quadratic.

7) Compute |PA|^2 + |PB|^2 + |PC|^2 = 77 and complete the square in terms of x and y to get the circle.

16) Consider the expansion of tan(A+B+C) using compound angle formula, but note that since A+B+C=180 (angle sum triangle), then tan(A+B+C)=0. So let the expansion be zero, and you will get the answer.

jackerino

HSC
Thanks carrotsticks! Okay well there's one more which I forgot to add, "Describe two ways of solving the equation sintheta=tan(theta/2), and solve using one of those ways.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Thanks carrotsticks! Okay well there's one more which I forgot to add, "Describe two ways of solving the equation sintheta=tan(theta/2), and solve using one of those ways.
t-formulae and auxiliary angle?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
1) Use the 't formula' method, where t = tan(x/2) and so sin(x) = 2t/(1+t^2)

2) Split sin(x) into 2sin(x/2)cos(x/2) and the tan(x/2) into sin(x/2)/cos(x/2), then re-arrange and solve in terms of x/2.

jackerino

HSC
Okay found another thing im unsure of,
"The point M(x,y) divides the interval joining P(x1,y1) and Q(x2,y2) into the ratio k:l"
Ive done a), which says to show by geometry that k/l=(y-y1)/(y2-y), then in part b) it says "Hence show that the equation of the line PQ is
(x-x1)(y-y2)=(y-y1)(x-x2)

Idk how to use part a) for part b), so I found the equation of the line manually, which ended up as
(x-x1)(y2-y1)=(x2-x1)(y-y1)

So I think I will be marked wrong, cos obviously they said to find THAT particular way, and I found another way, so how DO you use part a) to get part b)?

jackerino

HSC
2) Turn the nCk notation to factorial notation, then cross multiply and simplify.

3) Guess one integer solution and once you have one, factorise your cubic to get a linear expression multiplied with a quadratic. Then factorise the quadratic.

7) Compute |PA|^2 + |PB|^2 + |PC|^2 = 77 and complete the square in terms of x and y to get the circle.

16) Consider the expansion of tan(A+B+C) using compound angle formula, but note that since A+B+C=180 (angle sum triangle), then tan(A+B+C)=0. So let the expansion be zero, and you will get the answer.
Oh with the last one. 16), idk how to expand tan(a+b+c)? and for 7), thats the DISTANCE PA^2+PB^2...etc right?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh with the last one. 16), idk how to expand tan(a+b+c)? and for 7), thats the DISTANCE PA^2+PB^2...etc right?
To expand tan(a+b+c), you can bracket it as tan((a+b)+c) then use compound angle formula, then expand the tan(a+b) again.

And for 7, yep that's the distance.

HEY GUYS if you have a small scalene triangle embedded in a larger scalene triangle, like this:
http://www.ricksmath.com/images/triangle2.jpg
but with a point P on AB connected to a point M on CB,

how do you prove PM is parallel to AC? AP:AB=1:2, and CM:CB is 1:2.
Not quite sure what you mean here.

jackerino

HSC
Not quite sure what you mean here.[/QUOTE]

Erm, basically its a scalene triangle within another scalene triangle, such that the smaller one is similar to the larger one. The similarity is easily proven by the two sets of corresponding angles, though I have to prove that the two lines that cross the two short bits of each triangle are parallel. THe two parallel lines!>?! oh dear idk how to explain... Does that make sense?

And thanks for Q7. solved with your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)