• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Range of Speed Camera (1 Viewer)

Shintzu

free photo anyone?
HSC
hey guys, i think i might have gotten flashed at carlingford last night... i was going at around 61-64 and was i think at least 30m away from the camera at the time it flashed...

what do you think? would i definately get fined? whats the supposed range of their cameras? would they still be able to see my plate from that far away? sux if i do get fined as i am on my last month of red p-plate :mad1: :burn:

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Was it the completely obvious speed camera near the Carlingford station at the base of the hill and a moderate turn? If so yes, you're fucked cause that camera is fucking sensitive. Dad told me to watch out for that one. There are cameras along the Hume that don't even ping you when you go 10km/h over but this one will fuck you over immediately. Consider this lesson learned.

iEdd

HSC
If you were going 61-64 in a 60 zone, you can probably avoid the fine with a letter and blame it on fluctuations, etc.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Shintzu said:
sux if i do get fined as i am on my last month of red p-plate

loloolololololololololol.

If you don't have the common sense to slow down near a speed camera you probably shouldn't be driving.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Sometimes you can miss the signs and completely forget about them, especially when you don't know the area. As a general rule, follow the speed of traffic in an unknown area.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Shintzu said:
hey guys, i think i might have gotten flashed at carlingford last night... i was going at around 61-64 and was i think at least 30m away from the camera at the time it flashed...

what do you think? would i definately get fined? whats the supposed range of their cameras? would they still be able to see my plate from that far away?
If it was you and not someone else that was speeding then of course it got you. What's the point of having a speed camera if by the time it takes the picture the person speeding is out of the camera's range?

Stevo. said:
Sometimes you can miss the signs and completely forget about them, especially when you don't know the area. As a general rule, follow the speed of traffic in an unknown area.
I drive in areas I don't know all the time and I have never been caught by a fixed speed camera. There are always 3 signs leading up to them. I don't know where you are looking if you are missing 3 giant signs but it's not at the road.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't know where you are looking if you are missing 3 giant signs but it's not at the road.
Or the roadside. Or even the general flow of traffic.

CieL

HSC
Speed cameras don't have a certain range.
It's a fixed range.

If you drive carefully, you will actually see [and feel] that about 10-20m away from a speed camera [really depends on how big/wide the road is], there will be 3 metal lines that run horizontally across the road. These ridges detect how fast your tyres go over them and calculate the speed you are travelling.

Maybe it'll be worth it to travel back to where you THINK you got flashed and see if that's where the metal ridges run.

There's two cameras in Carlingford.. was it the one near the station, or the one under the bridge?

Pace_T

HSC
yea watch out for the lines, its them that catch u out
ive gone over the speed limit in front of so many speed cameras but slow down right before i reach those lines (which are a good 10m away from the camera) so its ok. thats y speed cameras for traffic going on the opposite direct dont catch u out, cause they only have the lines on the side of the road that the camera is on
besides that, dont u have like 4 points? a speeding fine like that is about 3 points so its not that bad, right? or is the instant suspension for speeding thing for all red p platers regardless if they got it before 1july 07?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Pace_T said:
yea watch out for the lines, its them that catch u out
ive gone over the speed limit in front of so many speed cameras but slow down right before i reach those lines (which are a good 10m away from the camera) so its ok. thats y speed cameras for traffic going on the opposite direct dont catch u out, cause they only have the lines on the side of the road that the camera is on
besides that, dont u have like 4 points? a speeding fine like that is about 3 points so its not that bad, right? or is the instant suspension for speeding thing for all red p platers regardless if they got it before 1july 07?
I thought it was something to do with the numberplate being blurred if it's oncoming, as well as the camera not being able to deal with the image being blocked by traffic travelling on the closer side of the road. :/

CieL

HSC
No.

Cameras can catch you on the other side of the road.
There are a few cameras which take both ways.

So the theory of blurred number plates/obstructing traffic goes down the drain.

EDIT: Some cameras take both ways. Not all.

Shintzu

free photo anyone?
HSC
Azamakumar said:
loloolololololololololol.

If you don't have the common sense to slow down near a speed camera you probably shouldn't be driving.
thanks. I take offence to that assumption.

normally i would drive through speed camera areas 5-10kms below the speed limit. But there were many other factors that influenced my decision that night including the desperation of going home and finishing my notes for the exam next morning (drove home from friend's place at 2am) but still, I do regret being so stupid at the time. I used to think fixed speed cameras uses radar, which led me to think that it had a smaller range than the apparent, and obviously i was wrong.

Still... a lesson learnt is a lesson learnt.

CieL said:
Speed cameras don't have a certain range.
It's a fixed range.

If you drive carefully, you will actually see [and feel] that about 10-20m away from a speed camera [really depends on how big/wide the road is], there will be 3 metal lines that run horizontally across the road. These ridges detect how fast your tyres go over them and calculate the speed you are travelling.

Maybe it'll be worth it to travel back to where you THINK you got flashed and see if that's where the metal ridges run.

There's two cameras in Carlingford.. was it the one near the station, or the one under the bridge?

thanks for the info CieL. I think i will find a time and drive back to the place. I would have most probably been caught but just to put my mind to rest, i think it will definately be worth it. And it was the deadly on near the station... just outside the club... i think i was flashed when i crossed the lights (going downhills) which i thought would be pretty far from the camera itself...

arghhh o well.

Still cant get over the fact that I'm going to get suspended over the holidays... and to think that i was going to save up for the new lancer... =( *sighhh*

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
fkn red p platers...
most of em i see on the road are crazy drivers anyway
prob best if you didnt have ur license :p

HSC
fuck, cameras will seriously ping you for doing 1k over the limit?

i see cars on the m1 between gold coast and brisbane doing well over 130 in a 110 zone all the time, and i don't think i've ever seen a camera go off on either of them:confused:

actually just yesterday this dude was sitting in the right lane going really fast, and this cop car came up behind him and i was like "lol booked for speeding" but the cop just kept tailgating him until he moved over, then zoomed off even faster haha

CieL

HSC
Shintzu said:
i think i was flashed when i crossed the lights (going downhills) which i thought would be pretty far from the camera itself...
If you were at/near the traffic lights after the camera.. that's hella far away and I'm definately sure you've gone past the metal lines by then.

Hell, I start accelerating before the traffic lights.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
not sure if it's for fixed cameras or hand held ones, but i remember hearing somewhere that they've got a 10% allowance, so you'll get done for 66+ in a 60 zone. that said, there are some very accurate fixed cameras around.

as someone else said, just go back to where you thought it flashed you...the ground over the sensors usually looks different to the rest of the road (newer/older squares of tar...and looks like the road over the sensors at traffic lights)

Zozo6969

HSC
the fixed cameras only ping u for going at least 7 kays over the limit in nsw. in vic its 10%. however cop cars can get u 4 anything over, even 1 kay, its their discretion. thats why heaps of ppl on freeways put cruise control on at 120 and even when they go through cameras they dont get caught because they have to be travelling at least 117, and they are travelling closer to 115 coz the speedos arent that accurate.

CieL

HSC
Zozo6969 said:
the fixed cameras only ping u for going at least 7 kays over the limit in nsw.
What.. regardless if it's a 40 zone or a 90 zone?

Where'd you get that from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)