rank->hsc (1 Viewer)

sasa-o8

HSC
lsam said:
You = 90 (HSC)
Him = 80 (HSC)

His mark = 90 (internal) because of your result and external (80) which is what he got.

Your mark = x (internal), we don't know what you will get as your internal mark. Whatever the third top HSC mark is, it will become your internal mark and your external (90) what you got in HSC.

Is it better to understand now?
Oh, I understand now! Thank you so much for clearing that up :D

danz90

HSC
Got this reply from the Senior Assessment Officer @ Board of studies , today:

Dear Daniel,

Your assessment marks are important because they reflect your level of achievement of the outcomes assessed in each course by the tasks set by your school. Your assessment marks also determine your rank.
The reason your assessment marks are moderated by the Office of the Board of Studies is so that direct comparisons can be made between assessment marks awarded by different schools. Schools have students of differing ability, as well as different standards in the difficulty of the tasks and tests they set and in their standards of marking, so it is necessary to adjust all the school assessment marks in each course to a common scale.

The assessment marks for each course in each school are moderated according to the examination performance of the group of students in the school. The moderation process adjusts the assessments submitted by the school so that the mean (or average) of the group’s assessments is set to equal the mean of the examination marks obtained by the students in that group, and so that the top assessment mark is equal to the highest examination mark obtained by a student in the group. The moderation process maintains the rank order of students within their school group.

A useful way of thinking about the moderation process is to view each school group studying a course as earning a total number of examination marks in the examination. The moderation procedures then distribute this total of marks in such a way that the rank order of the students as submitted by the school is not changed. Thus the total of the moderated assessment marks obtained by a school group in a particular course will be the same as the total of the examination marks obtained by that school group, except where some students may have been initially excluded from the moderation process, such as students whose performance in the examination is markedly below what was expected on the basis of their assessments.

I trust this addresses your concerns. Best wishes in your preparation for the HSC.

Regards,

Kate Cameron

me121

Premium Member
HSC
danz90 said:
Got this reply from the Senior Assessment Officer @ Board of studies , today:

Dear Daniel,

Your assessment marks are important because they reflect your level of achievement of the outcomes assessed in each course by the tasks set by your school. Your assessment marks also determine your rank.
The reason your assessment marks are moderated by the Office of the Board of Studies is so that direct comparisons can be made between assessment marks awarded by different schools. Schools have students of differing ability, as well as different standards in the difficulty of the tasks and tests they set and in their standards of marking, so it is necessary to adjust all the school assessment marks in each course to a common scale.

The assessment marks for each course in each school are moderated according to the examination performance of the group of students in the school. The moderation process adjusts the assessments submitted by the school so that the mean (or average) of the group’s assessments is set to equal the mean of the examination marks obtained by the students in that group, and so that the top assessment mark is equal to the highest examination mark obtained by a student in the group. The moderation process maintains the rank order of students within their school group.

A useful way of thinking about the moderation process is to view each school group studying a course as earning a total number of examination marks in the examination. The moderation procedures then distribute this total of marks in such a way that the rank order of the students as submitted by the school is not changed. Thus the total of the moderated assessment marks obtained by a school group in a particular course will be the same as the total of the examination marks obtained by that school group, except where some students may have been initially excluded from the moderation process, such as students whose performance in the examination is markedly below what was expected on the basis of their assessments.

I trust this addresses your concerns. Best wishes in your preparation for the HSC.

Regards,

Kate Cameron
Yes that is all correct, and that is fair, but what exactly did you ask them?

danz90

HSC
My main concern was that my raw assessment mark had very minimal role in my HSC Mark, and It was my rank that was critical in everything...
Now I understand it better (I think) , your exam mark (in rank) doesnt exactly become your moderated assessment mark, they look at standard deviation of marks etc etc.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna leave all the technical stuff to the BOS to work it out for me.. lol

me121

Premium Member
HSC
danz90 said:
My main concern was that my raw assessment mark had very minimal role in my HSC Mark, and It was my rank that was critical in everything...
Now I understand it better (I think) , your exam mark (in rank) doesnt exactly become your moderated assessment mark, they look at standard deviation of marks etc etc.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna leave all the technical stuff to the BOS to work it out for me.. lol
yes your raw assessment mark does have a minimal role.. and that is because it has no standards assigned to it. they just use your schools performance in the hsc to work out the standard of your school assessments..

Fat Fung

HSC
what abt this situation:

Student A is coming 2nd last (10/11)in his class

If he worked very hard for his HSC exam and got 5th in his class mark....
what sort of mark will he be getting?

lets say [skool assessments]
67: Student A

[HSC exam]
85 : Student A

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
Fat Fung said:
what abt this situation:

[HSC exam]
Said Student will get 70 for his internal component and 85 for external component.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Fat Fung said:
what abt this situation:

[HSC exam]
I haven't done the calcs so i don't know what the mark is, but note that identifying which exam mark was student A's makes no difference whatsoever to their moderated school assessment mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)