Rank n File (1 Viewer)

Bijs

HSC
So.... I was ranked 2/5 for a subject, so does that mean my HSC mark will be less than the person who came first even if i go better in the hsc? Our assessment marks were like <1% difference, so could anyone explain what would happen if say I went crap and she went well in the hsc, or i went well and she went crap, or if we both went well but my raw mark was higher....

Cheers.

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
Bijs said:
So.... I was ranked 2/5 for a subject, so does that mean my HSC mark will be less than the person who came first even if i go better in the hsc? Our assessment marks were like <1% difference, so could anyone explain what would happen if say I went crap and she went well in the hsc, or i went well and she went crap, or if we both went well but my raw mark was higher....

Cheers.

he'll get your HSC mark for the ALIGNED internal..but your could beat that person, depending on how they went aswell... so your in with a chance of beating them in your OVERALL HSC MARK.. which is generally an average of your ASSESSMENT MARK and EXAMINATION MARK, you will see this when you get your HSC RESULTS..... :D

good luck :D

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
A slightly less (or perhaps more) confusing explanation :p

Let's just assume that your internal marks were 88 and 87.

a) You do crap (75 exam mark) and she does well (90 exam mark)

Since she came first, the person who beat you gets the top exam mark (hers, probably) as her moderated assessment mark, and keeps her exam mark as her own, resulting in 90 90 | 90 for her overall HSC mark.

Since you came second by not a lot, your assessment mark is moderated to something very close to her assessment mark, in order to preserve the distance between ranks. You keep your exam mark as your own, which in this case drags you down: 89 75 | 82 as final mark.

b) You do well (90 exam mark) and she does crap (75 exam mark)

She gets the top exam mark (yours, probably) as her assessment mark, and keeps her dodgy exam mark as her own, resulting in 90 75 | 83 as a final mark.

Your assessment mark again gets moderated fairly close to hers, and you keep your exam mark as your own, resulting in 89 90 | 90 as a final mark.

So yes, it's possible to beat this person - made easier by the fact that your assessment marks are always going to be close together - but only if you do better in the HSC exam than her. It all depends on your exam :D

Hope that helps.

Bijs

HSC
That does make things clear. Thank you both.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hahaha. that actually happened to me in 2003.

My teacher decided to do Bio genetics Option and had a hard exam for it so I ended up coming 2nd in the school. The other class did the easier exam for the Option and a girl came first.

Her assessment mark was 93, mine was 92.
In the HSC exam I got 92, she got 90.

So my assessment mark ended up as 91, exam mark 92, to give me a 92 overall HSC mark.

She got assessment 92, exam 90, and ended up with a 91 overall.

So yes.. it is possible to beat whoever comes first :)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Nice story. It's given me motivation, I'm going to study like a beast starting form next week. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)