Rank & Score (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hello,

How hard is it to get a state rank in the top 15-20's. So the HSC Exam for MX2 is out of 120, then why does all these people who are dux write numbers like 99 in there signiture next to MX2?

Do you have to be a genius to come something like 5th (in state) in MX2 or can one come 5th (in state) through hard work and determination?

What score (out of 120) in the HSC would you have to get to come in the top 10 rank?

Thanks

undalay

HSC
I don't think you need to be a genius.
That being said if you're not a genius, you still need to be talented AND work hard.
Personally i believe it is impossible to get top 10 rank if you only work hard but have no talent.

A top ten rank would most likely be in the 114/120 + region? or so i guess.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
undalay said:
I don't think you need to be a genius.
That being said if you're not a genius, you still need to be talented AND work hard.
Personally i believe it is impossible to get top 10 rank if you only work hard but have no talent.

A top ten rank would most likely be in the 114/120 + region? or so i guess.
I cannot say anything for sure as range of marks that students achieve would alter every year. However, all I can say is that markers determine the aligned mark before they marking (i.e. they determine which RAW marks get which ALIGNED marks). Considering that 100 in Extension 1 gets you state rank (from Kony who came fifth in Extension 1 last year), several people got that particular aligned marks.

In my opinion top ten rank would most likely be 110+/120 or a bit less. A LOT OF PEOPLE struggle even to finish the whole exam paper and some questions are dubbed as "impossible". So you can see how difficult it is.

Yeah, I agree with above post. You don't have to be genius even though being genius would definitely help you. For example, the top Extension 2 guys, Samuel Gardam and Anthony Morris were absolute geniuses as they got bronze from maths olympiad. Apart from them, many of people were not that particularly naturally talented or so called "genius".

P

pLuvia

lyounamu said:
I cannot say anything for sure as range of marks that students achieve would alter every year. However, all I can say is that markers determine the aligned mark before they marking (i.e. they determine which RAW marks get which ALIGNED marks). Considering that 100 in Extension 1 gets you state rank (from Kony who came fifth in Extension 1 last year), several people got that particular aligned marks.

In my opinion top ten rank would most likely be 110+/120 or a bit less. A LOT OF PEOPLE struggle even to finish the whole exam paper and some questions are dubbed as "impossible". So you can see how difficult it is.

Yeah, I agree with above post. You don't have to be genius even though being genius would definitely help you. For example, the top Extension 2 guys, Samuel Gardam and Anthony Morris were absolute geniuses as they got bronze from maths olympiad. Apart from them, many of people were not that particularly naturally talented or so called "genius".
Actually the 2006 paper was so much easier than the other papers (MX2 I'm talking about) I heard a lot of people finishing it, it's the stupid mistakes that lead them to a shitty mark. There were no questions in there which you would dub "impossible" even Q7 and 8 were pretty straight forward

They dumbed down the level of MX2 so badly in that exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)