rank the unis with medicine (1 Viewer)

mellow3sooth

HSC
Which uni (not just in NSW), in your opinion, has the best reputation for their medicine course? And, could you rate them (maybe just the top 3 or 5) from best to worst, please? A lot of people reckon UNSW is the best. What do you think?

Thanks. =)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
1. Mayo Clinic
2. Johns Hopkins
3. Harvard

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
mellow3sooth said:
Which uni (not just in NSW), in your opinion, has the best reputation for their medicine course? And, could you rate them (maybe just the top 3 or 5) from best to worst, please? A lot of people reckon UNSW is the best. What do you think?

Thanks. =)
Unfortunately you are never going to get a decent response, so why bother asking?

There is no method to rank medical courses.

acerpacer

HSC
N/A
US:
Harvard
UK:
Cambridge
Asia:
CMC

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
there are lots of notable medical graduates.. my fave two are top stories on aust google news...
Radovan Karadzic (psychiatrist) and Jayant Patel (surgeon)..

=)

mellow3sooth

HSC
zomg, haha. lol at all the responses guys. I actually meant just the unis in Australia. :eek: And, yeah, i wasn't too sure whether this was really an answerable question, but since my friend asked me this very question, and i had no idea how to answer it, i thought maybe others might be a bit more knowledgable than me.

But, thanks for the answers, i guess. :p

lol, i should just tell her Harvard and Cambridge are the best, and see what response she gives me.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
depends ..even UWA and Adelaide makes nobel prize winners in medicine and physiology =)

realli where u do ur undergraduate doesnt matter.. u study the same thing all over .. its where u end up after that is interesting... i know oxford/cambridge graduates.. i wasnt tat impressed... harvard still makes crap graduates too.. =P

not all everyone will agree but thats my feeling..

mellow3sooth

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
depends ..even UWA and Adelaide makes nobel prize winners in medicine and physiology =)

realli where u do ur undergraduate doesnt matter.. u study the same thing all over .. its where u end up after that is interesting... i know oxford/cambridge graduates.. i wasnt tat impressed... harvard still makes crap graduates too.. =P

not all everyone will agree but thats my feeling..
hm... yeah, i agree with you. I'll tell her that, thanks. ^^

bubbly89

HSC
All the med courses are different, however no matter what university you come out of, you will have a medical degree and with a medical degree you can become a doctor. The marks you get in Medicine play absolutely no role, and the uni you come from plays no role, as all the internships in Australia are randomly allocated.

It is considered very egotistical to think about med schools as better then one or the other.

Of course you obviously have to to Med/Law at Monash anything else and you're just being a soft girlie man.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actually i think vic still makes u hand in a CV for ur internship... but inasero should know..
so its not completely random

inasero

Reborn
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
there are lots of notable medical graduates.. my fave two are top stories on aust google news...
Radovan Karadzic (psychiatrist) and Jayant Patel (surgeon)..

=)
you serious that radovan guy was a doctor?

on the same topic: josef mengele, ewen cameron....

inasero

Reborn
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
actually i think vic still makes u hand in a CV for ur internship... but inasero should know..
so its not completely random
nope...just the interview and professional references (clinical supervisors)
edit: if that's too much i suppose you could go interstate

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
mellow3sooth said:
zomg, haha. lol at all the responses guys. I actually meant just the unis in Australia. :eek: And, yeah, i wasn't too sure whether this was really an answerable question, but since my friend asked me this very question, and i had no idea how to answer it, i thought maybe others might be a bit more knowledgable than me.
The main differences will mainly emerge (in my opinion) if you are keen on research - i.e. if you are considering academic medicine, a PhD or a specialty which is so competitive that prior research/publications are a pseudo-requirement. Naturally the Go8 (Group of 8) universities are better bets for research oriented individuals because they generally have the larger budgets / research programs. Kind in mind that for specific interests you need to look beyond simple magnitude and consider particular research strengths.

As far as undergraduate teaching is concerned it's probably much of a muchness. UNSW certainly hasn't wowed me much in terms of its teaching (some tutors are amazing whilst some are absolute shockers). Unfortunately, without individuals who have experienced multiple programs (or who at least have deep knowledge of each) it is quite difficult to conduct any meaningful comparison of undergrad level teaching.

mellow3sooth

HSC
Thanks for the replies, guys. =D KFunk's post was enlightening. And, it does make sense that it doesn't really matter what uni you come from, because you'll come out as a doctor anyway. So, i don't really know what the stigma about UWS is all about. But, i guess that belongs in another thread. :p

Oh, it just occured to me that... well, i didn't actually ask my friend, but i guess she wanted me to rank unis on reputation, because of that whole 'asian' reputation thing. You know, like, in asian communities "i go to such and such a uni " --> *receives admiration*. Hm, i'll have to ask her.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
mellow3sooth said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. =D KFunk's post was enlightening. And, it does make sense that it doesn't really matter what uni you come from, because you'll come out as a doctor anyway. So, i don't really know what the stigma about UWS is all about. But, i guess that belongs in another thread. :p

Oh, it just occured to me that... well, i didn't actually ask my friend, but i guess she wanted me to rank unis on reputation, because of that whole 'asian' reputation thing. You know, like, in asian communities "i go to such and such a uni " --> *receives admiration*. Hm, i'll have to ask her.
The stigma with UWS is pretty much to do with the name. But their are alot of issues on the smaller campuses such as Hawkesbury and the defunct Blacktown.

Their's nothing wrong with the UWS school of medicine, it's just a new med school. IMO: If it's prestige you wan't it used to be Umelb, but now it's grad so yeah the two most undergrad posh uni's for that are UNSW and Monash. It's mainly due to reputation and the hardness to get in, unless you get into the Sci Adv or Med Sci/MBBS 99.95+(entails bragging rights) program at Usyd, you shouldn't really give a sh*t about where you get into.

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
I wouldn't say they have prestige due to their med course but rather due to the establishment as a whole and the difficulty of entry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)