Ranking issues (1 Viewer)

lordesf

HSC
HEy

anyone could help me...

in my mayths ext 1...

i do exrt 2 so my total mark is out of 100

i got 85/100

BUT this other person got close to me but overal i stil beat him and he doesnt do ext 2 so his marked out of 50.

Wel the issue is his mark gets rounded up to 43/50 (where if mine was out of 50 i would be rounded too)

overall my maerks r stil higher

but this rounding off really disadvantaged me?

i called the school today about it cause im ranked 4th instead of 3rd becuase of it..

the school saying they cant do much about it... as they just send the mark in to the BOs.. etc ... so im a bit lost

any suggestion wat i could do?

iEdd

HSC
Remember that assessment marks are calculated off relative differences. If your ranks are that close, you may end up with equal assessment marks, or 1 mark off.

lordesf

HSC
what you mean by relative difernces?

but yeh i did some claculation of my own cause i beat him in both tthe mid yr(30% weighitng) and the trials(40%) which make 70% of weighting, with 3 and 2 respectively, while he beat me in 6% on a 15%w weighitng topic test, so relatively im stil beating him...

ANd yeh if tht is so close.. i should tie with him instead of coming 4th?

lordesf

HSC
yeh i just got a call form the school saying that me doing ext2 and the other not doing ext 2 was the issue, so they said they cant do anything about it..

hmmm........ any suggestions?

le-foot

HSC
march to the school and slap some sense into the person who gave you this rank.

Seriously

lordesf

HSC
i sieorusly dono wat to do, the perosn who called me was our HEad dean of studies (even though he only just moved into this position)

but yeh..... im not sure wat i can do if i go to the school? IT does seem unfair.. and he did admit i did better than the 3rd ranked... but.... this bulshit sclaing... ..

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
This is the Board of Studies requirement:

In Mathematics, all students undertaking the Extension 1 course are assessed as a single group for the common Extension 1 course. The Extension 1 students’ marks are then submitted as a mark out of 50 but the marks of students who are also undertaking the Extension 2 course are submitted as marks out of 100.

Obviously, it would have been better if your school had assessed all Extension 1 students on a 50-mark scale. Then the Extension 1 marks for Extension 2 students could just be doubled. That would preserve comparability on the 1-unit scale when ranks are calculated.

Still, there should not be a great impact on you. You got the mark you "deserve", and the other person is unlikely to be competing for the same uni course as you.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
It doesn't even matter. Seriously don't worry about it.

it will be like, .1 of a mark if anything when it comes to calculating your UAI.
And basically, as long as you get the required UAI for your course then you are sweet, so it's doubtful that this discrepancy will make any difference to you.

lordesf

HSC
well the thing is i have ocntacted my school and it seems to me that the school doesnt seem willing to chnage anything,

all they said was that it was just bad luk, and it wont affect me that much , "im sure u would of done well in HSC anyways" etc.

But yes... im really asking if thts correct for schools to round of ext1 marks out of 50 and leave the ext 2 not rounded...

we only have 11 ppls in our ext 1 class, with heaps of them doing really bad (not even studying)

so 1 rank drop could mean somthing to me

apparently the guy (coming 3rd) overal mark was 83.5
mine was 85...

im not stil not happy baout it

Last edited:

le-foot

HSC
Complain to your principal

if not then bos

Don't let it drop

As it says on the letter we got

Rankings will affect your overall result

lordesf

HSC
hey u think so?

i was just gona give up on it....

yeh perhaps i should..

Last edited:

le-foot

HSC
lordesf said:
hey u think so?

yeh perhaps i should..
Nah, dont let it drop

but wait a second, do you get told what they send off to Bos? Cos we don't

lordesf

HSC
What u mean wat they send off?

im going to ring tomrow again.... to ask for those stuff

but yeh all they told me was my mark was 85 whiolest the 3rd was 83.5 BUT his final mark out of 50 was 43...

so im guessing they sent 43 in?

iEdd

HSC
Reminds me of when I got ripped off by a mark in chemistry. He was saying how it was only 3% so why does it matter. I said something along the lines of "exactly, so take 3% off everyone else then". Needless to say it was easier to edit my mark to what it should've been. :D

lordesf

HSC
hmm i called the school today was talking to the headmaster, anyways his saying he wil speak to the head of maths department and see....

but yeh if he says badluk i cant do anything then there realy inst another way?

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
lordesf said:
hmm i called the school today was talking to the headmaster, anyways his saying he wil speak to the head of maths department and see....

but yeh if he says badluk i cant do anything then there realy inst another way?
Tell him to fax BOS and change ur asst mark to 86. It's allowed.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I remember having a subject where they forget to enter the marks for one of my assessments! I got quite a shock when i saw my rank and appeled to the school. They changed the rank after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)