Ranking Myths (1 Viewer)

crimsonking

HSC
My study regime has not been as it should of been (I felt better prepared for 1/2 yearlies), so now I have some concerns about ranks.

1. If some gets rank number 1, they will automatically get the highest external mark from the school?

2. Number 1 rank ensures that individuals are immune to bad scaling? - I'm coming first in legal by around 15% and I'm in front of the class average by atleast 25%.

rox88

HSC
im still quite confused so let me get this straight

say ur coming last at school in rank, then u somehow fluked the hsc exam right and come 1st in class, wat kind of moderated marks would u get??

is it all the external marks added together and u get the worst mark since u came last in internal marks.

so basically if u come 1st in internal marks, u pretty much garanteed to get a pretty alright mark since u get the best mark in the external marks added together. ie internal marks is really important relative to external marks.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Rox88, if you're coming last in assessments and come first in the exam, you will:
-Receive, as your assessment mark, the lowest external exam mark for your class
-Receive, as your exam mark, the mark you actually got in the exam.

You always keep your exam mark, but your assessment mark will be the exam mark for your class corresponding to your assessment rank.

Example:
Raw marks-
Exam Assessment
Tom 85 72
Dick 91 54
Harry 87 43

T, D and H keep their exam marks. Tom has the highest assessment rank, so Tom will receive as his assessment mark the top exam mark for the class (Dick's, 91). Dick was second in assessments, so he will receive the second exam mark (Harry's, 87) as his assessment mark. Harry was bottom of assessments, so he will receive the bottom exam mark (Tom's, 85) as his assessment mark.

So, the moderated results will be:
Exam Assessment
Tom 85 91
Dick 91 87
Harry 87 85

So T, D and H have preserved their assessment rank. However, note that the class averages for exam and assessment are now the same, which evens out differences between assessment schemes from school to school. (In this case, it appears that the school's assessment scheme was very harsh, as T, D and H got much lower assessment marks than exam marks, so they moderate upwards to match their exam marks.)

But really, it's best not to worry about the system. Just do your best in all assessments and exams and the system will work fine.

EDIT: Whoops, those tables didn't work very well. The columns go Name/Exam mark/Assessment mark.
EDIT2: On rereading, perhaps not the best explanation I've ever given. The gist is there.

Last edited:

a8o

HSC
The assessments seem to be a pretty good reflection for most people on how they'll do in the exam. In practice, I was ranked about 3rd or 4th for most of my subjects and got a mark halfway between my assessment and exam marks.

If you bomb one of either your exam or your assessments, the higher mark will pull up your lower mark to limit the damage. So if your assessment was 90 and your exam was only 70, you would get 80.

There's really nothing about 'keeping' the best exam mark, and its all a mysterious process really.

Monstar

HSC
rox88 said:
im still quite confused so let me get this straight

say ur coming last at school in rank, then u somehow fluked the hsc exam right and come 1st in class, wat kind of moderated marks would u get??

is it all the external marks added together and u get the worst mark since u came last in internal marks.

so basically if u come 1st in internal marks, u pretty much garanteed to get a pretty alright mark since u get the best mark in the external marks added together. ie internal marks is really important relative to external marks.

probz bape ftw. Just bape in hsc for 100 uai.

T

Testpilot

This is a dumb question, but i'm still confused.

When they calculate your UAI does it come from the external tests or both external and internally moderated marks?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Testpilot said:
This is a dumb question, but i'm still confused.

When they calculate your UAI does it come from the external tests or both external and internally moderated marks?
They use your 10 best units including 2 units of English to calculate your UAI. Your UAI is calculated from your overall HSC mark with includes 50% assessment mark (including internal exams & assessments) and the other 50% is your HSC exam mark.

That should answer your question. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)