rankings question (1 Viewer)

osak23

HSC
N/A
have a question..

say if your equal 4th for 2 unit maths

will both guys get the same rank sent off to board of studies??

or does the guy with the slightly higher percentage get the 4th, and the other guy who has a lower percentage come 5th sent to B.O.S??

eg equal 4th is on 96%

but person 1 is actually on 96.4%
and person 2 is actually 96.42%

or will the school send both guys rank 4th to B.O.S??

deswa1

HSC
Depends on how your school submits marks. Our school doesn't submit decimals- it rounds off at the end of the year which causes quite a few ties but they could theoretically split on decimals. Not sure how many decimals it goes to though but in your case, imo if you were 0.02% apart after a whole year, you are essentially exactly the same.

But yeah, it comes down to what your school picks to do.

Edit: Apparently I was wrong- schools must send one whole number

Last edited:

Sindivyn

HSC
I was under the impression that schools had to submit full marks to the BOS, but some schools change the final internal assessment marks in order to ensure there are no ties at first.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'll say this now, you're both going to get the same moderated assessment mark. 4th or 5th doesn't really matter, it's how much you differ between marks which is much more important.

Shadowless

HSC
I'll say this now, you're both going to get the same moderated assessment mark. 4th or 5th doesn't really matter, it's how much you differ between marks which is much more important.
THIS

deswa1

HSC
I was under the impression that schools had to submit full marks to the BOS, but some schools change the final internal assessment marks in order to ensure there are no ties at first.
They have to send a round number to BOS.
Oh my bad. I thought they were allowed to send decimals. What happens then with schools like Ruse? I know say at our school we have 5 equal firsts for 3U maths- I'm assuming at Ruse etc. it'd be even worse because the top enders would be getting either full or close to full every test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)