ranks? (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
yeah sorry. i copied and pasted both marks to takea look in a notepad and got it mixed up. because you put the same comments for english standard it got me confused :p

but looking at the 2002 scaling, Business did better than IPT so that should be taken into account.(but the scaling could change) and it seems your marks in everything else is Very similar. so expect a similar UAI

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
If a student's rank or a student's mark in a particular course is the only piece of knowledge that you have about them, the rank is far more valuable. There is no way to evaluate the performance of a student who has a raw assessment mark of, say, 75. However, if instead of that mark you knew that the student was ranked 2/35, you can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that the student is doing well.

As students rarely know the marks of every other student in their class, they are forced to guage their performance by their rank. A student's mark is only significant in the context of all of the marks for their entire class.
Yeah but don't ALL the marks get sent to BoardOS and they can calculate the ranks themselves? So aren't marks the almighty in this case? If just ranks were sent, you can't tell the relative differences and stuff like that. If the marks were sent, you could tell the relative differences and the rank.

I'm not arguing that marks are the only thing that matters but when marks are working with ranks, marks seem more important.
Sorry if this post causes some confusion and heat.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes, ultimately, in the grand objective scheme of things, the marks are more important - but for the purposes of this forum, and the purposes of most students, their rank is what they should be concerned about. :) Try not to confuse these poor people any more than they already are. :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Marks are indicative of what you might get in the HSC.

As well as needing good marks for good ranks, in school ranks are more important. In the HSC exam, marks are more important.

The system is made so it takes account that school exams have varying difficulties which makes it impractical to assess them on those marks

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
here r my ranks n some of my marks .......

english advanced ..... 87-88% rank 2/16
maths 2u - equal first 88%
maths 3u - 2/6 ....i haven't calculated my overall mark....
physics- 1/9.....around 82% ( i think)
chemistry- 1/16..... 92%
biology.....1/9....90%

n all r trials were basically catholics....n someothers mixed....

wat do u'z estimate my uai to be???

pri

HSC
N/A
depends on ur HSC performance

its a maker or breaker

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
wow. those marks look almost alike to yours.

no wonder you are twins :p

but i think your UAI will be slightly higher
hey Ragerrunner......have u heard of TWINCHEATERS?????;)
well here's n example......

stag_j

does anybody know exactly where this rule of the BOS is? i goto school with Exeter and when i spoke to our deputy thismorning he still refused to tell us. he says that our 'final assessment' is actully the HSC so the school doesnt have to tell us til then. he also reckons that even after the hsc, it is the BOS responsibility to tell us our ranking, not the schools.
If anybody can give me a BOS URL to show him it would be great...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hmmm, it seems as though they are only meant to be given after the last HSC exam (which would be incredibly annoying for all involved). I suppose I confused that with the last assessment task, though I'm certain that's when we were given ours. Perhaps you could point out that, seeing as though they're fixed and have already been determined, giving them to you early makes no difference. Or you could hand them an official Freedom of Information request. :p Then they'd have to give them to you.

Rules and Procedures for 2003 HSC Candidates
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/hsc_rules_procedure_03.pdf

21. Assessment ranking appeals

(i) After the last HSC examination at your centre, you may request from your principal a sheet showing your rank order for assessment in each course. If you feel that your placement in any course is not correct, you should talk to your teacher and you may apply to your principal for a review/appeal.

stag_j

damn. that shits me pretty hard... every other school seems to tell their students their ranking. and scholarship applications, etc all ask for your school ranking. my teacher said that because we goto a selective school our rankings aren't as meaningful, but to me if you have a high ranking at a selective school that is much more meaningful than a high rank at a comprehensive school.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lazarus
You're entitled to them once all of your assessments have been completed - official BOS rule.

However, they're not meant to give you your final marks (even though you should be able to work them out anyway). Just the ranks. :)
what is the official wording so i can fire it off @ my teachers if they wont tell me?

EDIT: whoops, sorry, just read the above posts

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)