Rant (Essay) About Emo Music (1 Viewer)

Goooonman

HSC
A recent and relatively inflammatory conversation with an extremely stubborn friend of mine the other day resulted in my addressing a serious question. Why do normal kids hate Emo music?

Let me set the scene straight away. I am NOT an Emo in my own mind. I guess it depends on what each individual classifies Emo, but I don't cut myself or wear eyeliner or all black or whatever. Sure I get upset, but don't all teenagers? About as Emo as I get is my taste in music.

So I'm idling on MSN while writing an essay and some Taking Back Sunday or Brand New song or something like that pops up on my iTunes and immediately this friend of mine begins ripping into me for my choice of aural pleasure:).

While I'm in assessment mode I guess I'll structure this logically. There are practically three schools of thought when it comes to Emo music and the term Emo in general. Firstly you have your 'Town Hall Steps' Emo kids who mope around in way too much eyeliner, cutting themselves and taking all sorts of literal meaning out of Emo songs. Secondly there are the 'Normal' kids who think Emos are faggots, that their music lacks all sorts of lyrical substance and is a direct message with typical melodic shapes that attract and exploit teenagers with raging hormones for profit. Thirdly, which is where I sit, there are the kids who wear whatever they want and aren't bound by the stereotypes that are sadly associated with the music, don't get depressed 100% of the time and derive their own meanings from the songs.

My job for my friend was to convince him that the 1st type of Emo Music listener and the 3rd type of Emo Music listener were two different people, and that it wasn't fair to judge the music purely on the image the 1st type presents. I've noticed that alot of the attitudes towards the music from the 2nd type are based on ignorance. People look at Emos and are instantly repelled. The whole trend with Emo as a concept is to be sad all the time and revel in that sadness (usually for attention). Everybody hates attention seekers right? I think its important for people to not judge the music purely on what they see at Town Hall, however I can easily see why people would. Also the directness of popular (and as much as it pains me to say this...) Emo bands like Simple Plan, with words like "I'm sorry I can't be perfect" doesn't help.

The music in itself is relatively simple, and is derived from Punk Rock and Grunge. Obviously, depending on the song, this varies, but its generally the case. The vocal melody/ies are rather complex and there's often more to the lyrical content than meets the stereotypical eye. The statement that Emo musicians are talentless frauds aimed at exploitation of teenagers is much more than often not the case, and looking at most genuine Emo bands you'll find they rarely dress like the 1st type of Emo.

After reading his statements such as:
  • "Its like punk but without the manliness"
  • "Its self absorbed"
  • "theres no lyrical substance or lyical analysis involved"
  • "yeah, and im talking like they don't have any talent, and that they are exploiting the feelings of a generation"
  • "Of course all music is about reaching out, but emo is about reaching out in the most simplistic of ways"
It got me to thinking that every preconception (and inadvernatly, misconception) was based on what people knew of the first type of Emo. This mate of mine happens to be an avid Nirvana fan. He pulls deep seeded emotion from Nirvana songs as many of their true fans do. Now for those of you with any knowledge of Nirvana will know there are primarily 2 kinds of Nirvana fans. The first type are the Teenybopper sorts who listen to Nirvana, have Nirvana posters and Nirvana t-shirts because Nirvana used to be cool. They probably didn't know who Dave Grohl was before the Foo Fighters. They listen to words like "With the lights out, it's less dangerous, here we are now, entertain us" and think its about a wild night of teenage sex. The second type, like my friend, listen to what may seem to be relatively straightforward if not confusing lyrics in Nirvana songs and deduct deep metaphorical meaning of which they can relate too.

I ask him (and you...if you're still not convinced) whether it would be fair for me to base my entire opinion of Nirvana upon what I see of 14 year old girls with manicures, streaks in their hair and Nirvana posters in their bedrooms. I think not.

Next time you make a broad, general statement of Emo music, think that there are people other than shitty Town Hall Steps Emos who listen to it, and get something out of it rather than just "I want to cut myself and die".

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
From what I can understand he's saying

It's not fair to judge emo music based on the town-hall-steps-emo-kid stereotype because they interpret the meaning of the lyrics in a literal fashion whereas normal, non-stereotypical fans don't."

or maybe

How could this happen to me
I made my mistakes
I’ve got no where to run
The night goes on
As I’m fading away
I’m sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me

Goooonman

HSC
In essence that post a little up there is what I'm trying to say...and yes Simple Plan fuck it up altogether. I was bored, hence the extensiveness haha.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
I think "normal" kids hate emo music because they fear it. It's a fear of showing emotion because showing emotions weakens you in the face of others.
Or we could just not like the music ?

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i listen to alot of that music to. an as some of the bos people who have met me. know that i dont dress like a retard, an i do listen to "normal" music as well. an i have fun. some of u will remember when i was at three wise monkeys.....oh my.

getting back on the point. people will always try to interpret music how they want. so if they want to cut themselve an dress like a retard.....i say LET EM.

bassguy

HSC
I don't really have a problem with emo music as such. I don't really enjoy it, but I have nothing against its existence - the more music out there the better.

What I do have a problem with is the fashion trend associated with emo. It's become, for want of a better term, the alternative mainstream. It appears to be a standardisation of individuality - making 'individuality' a trend. It means that anyone who really does have a desire to avoid trends, and has had a similar style since before this epidemic, is labelled as an emo or just an attention-seeker.

Luckily, it seems pretty clear that the current wave of 'emo' is just another trend - I give it two more years.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
bassguy said:
What I do have a problem with is the fashion trend associated with emo. It's become, for want of a better term, the alternative mainstream. It appears to be a standardisation of individuality - making 'individuality' a trend. It means that anyone who really does have a desire to avoid trends, and has had a similar style since before this epidemic, is labelled as an emo or just an attention-seeker.
Sorry, there is no difference between you trying to actively "avoid trends" and and emo kids dressing all the same.

Just do what you fucking want, and don't try to justify it by bringing down others.

ccc123

HSC
Gah, the 'emo' trend is such a paradox. Conforming to non-conformity. And as for 'emo' music, i think there's generally much ambiguity about exactly music is can be classified as 'emo'.

ccc123

HSC
bassguy said:
I don't really have a problem with emo music as such. I don't really enjoy it, but I have nothing against its existence - the more music out there the better.

Luckily, it seems pretty clear that the current wave of 'emo' is just another trend - I give it two more years.
Didn't see your post before, but yeah, precisely.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I like music that sounds cool. Lyrics are none of my business.

Why must people be different to that? Think of how much more peaceful the world would be if small children who dress in black, and pill poppers could get along because they knew that music sounds cool :(

Oh me oh my.

Having said that, the thread starters post was terrible.

daviet

HSC
I'm not into the emo music, but I'm interested to know how can emo dudes can pull chicks relatively easily.
I'm into my own style of music and people diss it, so i guess i cant say much about emo music.

Simple Plan however are an exception, and should waste away and go to hell ASAP

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)