• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Raped by her uncle, but can she have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Um we're running out of them. And it doesn't matter if we have the space to live - it's water and fertile land that's the limiting factor.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Kwayera said:
Well that's more of an argument against immigration, but yes, it's idiocy.
Nah, it's about the size of a sustainable Australian population. Not just immigration, but when you hear the likes of Costello saying you should have one child for mum, one for dad and one for the country. The politicians would prefer to grow the population to 50 million, through local births if possible.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Yes, I think Costello's fantastic but here, he was a real idiot.

Yeah you're right, it's an argument against both. I dunno, what are the statistics regarding yearly addition to population of immigration vs local births?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Isn't the population in decline by just local births? Ageing population means death rate is exceeding birth rate etc... In most of the western world, not just Aus.

Kwayera said:
Yes, I think Costello's fantastic but here, he was a real idiot.
Makes economic sense.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Our birth rate for this year is either 1.76 or 1.81 (or 1.79; depends on what "type" of birth rate you're looking for) and the death rate is 7.1 (deaths per 100 people).

Not sure what that means.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Graney said:
Makes economic sense.

Well, in a purely economic sense, but he failed to take into account the effects of a lack of environmental stability in the case of a massive population increase and the effect of THAT on the economy. Lol.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Morals are by no means solely a function of 'social conditioning'. It is in many ways influenced by our evolutionary biology and genetics, as well as society.

Sociobiology FTMFW.
true not solely, i oversimplified forgive me :(
but i believe that society has a greater impact than biology.

Graney said:
I disagree. Why do you think diverse cultures, separated by time and space, tend to share similar morals and values?
cultures over time evolve and integrate.

though by observing individuals living in an almost homogeneous society with no exposure to foreign elements.

you will observe values that wont fit into your definition of 'morals and values'
e.g Cannibalism, Sati, child brides, seppuku, female castrations,head hunting human sacrifice etc.

and if you travel back in time these recherche practices would have been prevalent in society.

nature vs nurture, the age old debate. :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)