Rates of Change (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
Has anyone got a worked solution to Chapter 7E, Q11 from the Cambridge Year 12 Textbook?

Cheers

mreditor16

HSC
Well, put it this way, all questions in a 3U paper (and more broadly, 3U textbooks) are (or maybe I should say "should be" to stay safe on this issue) designed such that the questions can be done using only 3U (and below) concepts. So you're essentially assuming 3U students can pluck the 4U concept of angular velocity out of thin air when faced with this question. I'm not saying your method won't be accepted, it's just the OP seems to be wanting a method appropriate to show to 3U students.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Edit: sorry, this ends up with 0 = 0

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
It's like giving an integral that can only be solved by integration by parts. Under your logic, you can argue it can be it in the 3U test, since 3U students could derive the method of integration by parts on the spot and then utilise it in the question they face.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Well the tangential speed needs to be used since that affects the answer. And tangential speed is inherently linked to angular velocity. And circular motion isn't explicitly a 3U concept, is it (rather, 4U I think)? But we still need to use the tangential speed, which would theoretically be unheard of for 3U students then, assuming circular motion is 4U but not 3U.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Again, I don't like saying this, but if I am informed correctly, implicit differentiation is a 4U concept.
And implicit differentiation is just the chain rule essentially. Whenever we use 'implicit differentiation', a 3U student could theoretically use the chain rule – just replace y with y(x) and differentiate using product rules etc.

mreditor16

HSC
Well, technically, you could say everything in 4U is in 3U, because we do use 3U concepts to derive 4U concepts. So this sort of discussion will only go in circles.

Ekman

HSC
Again, I don't like saying this, but if I am informed correctly, implicit differentiation is a 4U concept.
Well I remember doing implicit differentiation in 3u before learning it in 4u

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Use of implicit differentiation is allowed in the HSC (ie: 2014 MX1 Question 13 Rates of Change, an implicit differentiation proof was accepted).

The syllabus is mucky and not 100% clear cut defined, so arguing technicalities is pointless.

Technically, students are expected to be able to identify forms f'(x)/f(x) when integrating. So things like x/(1+x^2) are to be done by inspection by 2U students.

However, would we then expect them to be able to solve integrals such as the integral of 1/(x+root(x)), which is technically in that form? How about sec(x)?

Whilst we're all talking about the validity of methods in the HSC, how about first asking whether the question would even be there? In this case, probably not, without a decent amount of hand holding.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Does anyone know how to do it using an Extension 1 method?
Well the students are given the tangential velocity to be 2, which may be converted to angular velocity using basic arithmetic.

If you see the conversion from tangential to angular velocity as something to be deduced on the spot, I am sure it is within the scope of 3U difficulty (as they've been expected to spot much more difficult things in the past).

If you see the conversion as the application of a formula, then I guess one could say it's out of the syllabus, though barely.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I managed to do it without angular velocity, etc.

OP If you look at the worked examples above you will notice that the theory applied to the ladder one can sort of be related to this question

braintic

HSC
N/A
Using parametric coordinates (cosθ, sinθ),
and using l=rθ, ie. l=θ, so dl/dθ = 1

dx/dt = dx/dθ × dθ/dl × dl/dt

= -sinθ × 1 × 2
= -2y
= -2√(1-x²)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)