Raw mark scaling for Biology? (1 Viewer)

adnan91

HSC
There is no subjective marking. They mark you against a set criteria. You meet the criteria you get the marks that's it. But possibly they way u write you answer may have an effect but only if it takes the marker to understand after reading it 6 times

tau281290

HSC
Because it is all about applications but not regurgitating the text book. All the answers are ranked, even if you can get full marks for those 8 markers, it is still impossible to get 100% for the rest of the questions. The stuff are just not in the text books, you need to apply heaps of common sense into the work you learn.

HSC
There seems to be have been plenty of people who recieved 90+ for the CSSA Trials, and if the trials are supposed to be somewhat similar, what's stopping people getting 90+ raw

Though i do hope Bio aligns a lot...

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
tau281290 said:
Because it is all about applications but not regurgitating the text book. All the answers are ranked, even if you can get full marks for those 8 markers, it is still impossible to get 100% for the rest of the questions. The stuff are just not in the text books, you need to apply heaps of common sense into the work you learn.
Yeah, I know, that's why I go so well, lol, I've done so much extra research as well.

It pays off. :)

Well, I didn't do that much more, it's more a life long obsession with the subject, lol!

The odd mark I lose tends to be 'cause I DO forget something out the text book, haha!

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
tau281290 said:
My bio teacher also said there is no more than 5 mark difference in aligned marks for chem and bio.
dude, in chem 2003 apparenly marks went from 62-63 in chem to a band 5. thats a minimum of 17 marks.

so..?

HSC
Well we can usually determine how much alignment there is based on the marks people usually get for exams (such as trials) and hence we can find out the relative difficulty of the subject's paper.

I don't know how hard Chem is in relation to Bio, but if people are willing to give trial averages for Bio and Chem for their school, maybe we could come to something.

Lordie

HSC
I'm not sure which paper we used, but I know it was from one of the company's that do them. The top was 88(Me) and then it went 87, I think 82, then it fell down, lots of people in the 70s. So the average for my school would have been about 70 odd. Quite depressing, heh.

I've been getting 90+%'s all year, so I'm hoping that being first in the year, and I SHOULD technically get a raw mark of 90 in the final...I should get a band 6. Who knows though I guess...I know a lot of people do well in Bio, so it's tricky to get those top TOP marks. However TECHNICALLY, if you came first in your school, you can get 100 in the subject. *Shrug*

Last edited:

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
chem is WAY harder than bio

i usually get around 70 for chem, whereas i get 90+ for bio.

assesment mark for bio: 92 or so
assesment mark for chem: 83 (coz i owned up assignments and small prac tests)

EDIT: i just read, averages. averages would not be good for my school, as 8 ppl do chem and 28 do bio. and 6 of the 8 ppl that do chem, are the smartest in the school, whereas 5 or so ppl in bio do really well and the others dont really care...

(really low ranked school, 5XX)

Last edited:

Razzah

HSC
tau281290 said:
even my teacher said it is impossible nowadays for ppl to get 100% raw since these questions are too subjective. Some ppl used to get 100% raw before 2001.
Watch me. Haha, nah jk.... Or am I?

HSC
i dont think bio scales down. my teacher said it may scale up by like 3-5 or something. i dont think its superb scaling but its ok i guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)