Raw Marks-Moderated Marks (1 Viewer)

Lingb

HSC
hey guys,

i do both maths extension 1 and english extension 1. and over on the maths extension exams thought page, it has a thread dealing with what raw marks your raw marks scale/moderate too. (for eg, a raw of 40 odd / 84 goes to approx 70%)

i was wondering whether anybody knows this information regarding extension for english such as 25/50 goes to....30/50 goes to....and so on.

thankyou to anyone that can help

:)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Maths ext has always scalled higher than eng ext.

The scalling works on a bell-cure to it's not always +10 marks. But to scale away highly from the bell curve you need atleast 40 which should go to 43ish and anything over 45-46 goes to 49.

Also the marking is pretty harsh for eng ext. The teacher who marks at our school always marks according to HSC standard, he's also the president of the English Teachers assoc of NSW and Australia. The marks accordingly and the highest mark ever at our school was 47, also the Ellen Chapple the chich who came first at eng ext was from my school she got 49 and came first in state but it's usually 50, this gives you an idea of how harsly their starting to mark, since the quality of the candidature is improving.

kelsinator

HSC
yeah, i do maths x1 and english x1 too and maths x1 scales incredibly more than english ex1.. ur mark for english ex1 will typically not vary much from your raw mark- usually will not move up or down more than 5..
i got 49 for my trial.. hoping for something similar.
hope everyone did well :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Magicana said:
Hmm so a raw mark of 43.8 should go up a bit?
Im guessing 43.8 is ur internal mark depending in your rank it could go up or down, but yeah low 40's raw in the exam normally scales by a few marks up.

Scorch

HSC
I'm hoping for at least 35, as an aligned mark. What would be the cutoff for 40/50, then? Mid-high 30s raw?

mallie89

Almost free!
HSC
Scorch said:
I'm hoping for at least 35, as an aligned mark. What would be the cutoff for 40/50, then? Mid-high 30s raw?
So I suppose as a raw it'd have to be about.. yeah 38/37 or so to get 40, since we know Ex1 doesn't scale up like Mx1 does. (stupid english, not scaling as well).. especially if its only going to scale by a few marks. Ugh, band E2 here I come.

Lingb

HSC
ahhh k!

thanks heaps guys, very helpful. just a bit annoying when none of this gets explained or not very well...thanku

best of luck to everyone still sitting exams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)