Rba Open Market Operations (1 Viewer)

partymaster01

HSC
N/A
Ok lol

Why does the RBA Sell CGS in order to have a tight or contractionary stance of monetary policy.

I would of thought selling more would increase the amount of cash therefore making the interest rate go up?

Any help please im so confused.

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
its a very nitty gritty aspect of the syllabus, and one often neglected (although not specifically mentioned it is crucial to know of)

umm i guess ill start by very quickly saying that monetray policy has two instruments, the other less known one is money supply or monetary targetting and it was pre-dominatlly used mid 80s and its inaccuracy has been concluded as the catalyst which followed later....you dont need to know that but just a bit of extra knowledge cant do harm :)

okaii...you know the key terms and the only word your missing to the puzzle is ES...this is known as exchange settlement accounts between banks e.t.c (i wont get into this)

So...for e.g.....the RBA buys government securites and if you can just picture a demand and supply graph in your mind, and substiutie quanity for supply of funds and price for cash rate, basically if the RBA buys SHGS it increases the supply due to an excess of borrowable funds as a result of the exchange for Government securities and hence an increase is supply = an increase in cash rate

the trick is to think this is not your regular D & S, RBA buys SHGS and IN EXCHANGE adds funds which increases the supply of ES funds

if ever confused...use demand and supply...but make sure u substitue it like i told you :)

so yea...supply curve shifts to the right(decrese in cash rate)...cause of the increase in funds as a result of the RBA buying SHGS :)
hope that helps...its actually a lot more tricky

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
To simplify the above, long-winded explanation, the banks have to use money to buy the securities off the RBA. They get this money from the Exchange Settlement Account, lowering the pool of funds in the account, making the remaining funds more valuable because of their scarcity and thus increasing the rate charged on the lending of the remaining funds.

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
yea...sorry bout the long windednessss....all i can think about is WW1 and indochina :(:( bloody history/economics dayyyyy

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Q2C-ME said:
yea...sorry bout the long windednessss....all i can think about is WW1 and indochina :(:( bloody history/economics dayyyyy
You don't do maths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)