Real Inspector Hound (1 Viewer)

lexy-kate

Can anyone studying The Real Inspector Hound for crime fiction think of/ find any evidence of either the play in general, or Tom Stoppard being influenced by the 60s? Its for a crappy practice essay.. i dont care if their useful dammit.. im lazy!
P.s.. is anyone else in love with this play or is it just me?!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
He is influnced by the "cosy school" style of writing crime fiction ...

lexy-kate

yeah but specifically the 60s, eg attitudes, lifestyles.. i dont know its a stupid question in my opinion

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by lexy-kate
yeah but specifically the 60s, eg attitudes, lifestyles.. i dont know its a stupid question in my opinion
I guess there is the objection to explict violence (very little blood shown). There is also the structered and orderly world (very formal) destroyed by crime.

Sorry, as you say, the question is very poor ...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by lexy-kate
Can anyone studying The Real Inspector Hound for crime fiction think of/ find any evidence of either the play in general, or Tom Stoppard being influenced by the 60s? Its for a crappy practice essay.. i dont care if their useful dammit.. im lazy!
P.s.. is anyone else in love with this play or is it just me?!
I think the main 60's influences apparent in The Real Inspector Hound are post-modernism, and more importantly, the rise of absurdist theatre, which Stoppard was heavily influenced by. (He even acknowledges this in the play himself;

Moon-It is hard, it is hard indeed, and therefore I will not attempt, to refrain from invoking the names of Kafka, Sartre, Shakespeare, St . Paul, Beckett, Birkett, Pinero, Pirandello, Dante and Dorothy L Sayers) [Those in bold are 'absurdist' playwrights, among other things.)

Then from here, cover how this manifests itself within the play, for instance, the 'fourth wall' between actors and audience being broken on several occasions, or the decline of 'Classic Crime-Fiction' and its becoming a target of satire. (Although even 'The Mousetrap', first performed 1952 has some satirical elements..)

It is an awkward essay question though. Good luck.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
also the fact it's based on agatha christie could have something to do with it. it's based on the attitudes and valules of christie's play, and therefore also her time. it's conservative. has a class structure.

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
its a parody of Mousetrap, which embodies the cultures of that time, but the ones in TRIH are probably, the cosy crime fiction genre,Cynthias attitude to her 'deseased husband' " No, i love Albert" etc, i dunno... shitty question..

I LOVE THIS PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOP WHOOP!!

Menendez

My class was lucky...The Real Insp. Hound was playing up in Brisbane, so we got to see it. It is MAD on stage! The best! so funny! Simon reminded me of zoolander....or maybe I was just tired....:D if you ever get the chance, SEE IT!

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
it is relevant, considering the topic is a parody/satire in which case you need to be able to recognize the original ideas taken from the original and you need to know the contexts of both.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
omg... i don't know none of this... im so gonna fail english. :(
well if no one else in your class knows you are now ahead of them.

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
i hate this play with a passion! i guess that's becuz i don't understand at all! from whatever angle i take it, i juz can't understand it! maybe its the method of my teachers teaching techniques?

Binky

you have to understand more about the sixties themselves. It was a time of great political change, and all of a sudden there was a huge influx of people who were interested in a new style of theatre, it's got to do with all sorts of things... dammit i watched a movie on this and i can't seem to remember it...
find out more about "absurdist" theatre.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yup absurdist thatre nicely sums it up

btw binky are u on my MSN:p

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
sorry to sound like a n00bie here, but what is cosy?

and lexy-kate, where is ur display pic from?

~*~Karina~*~

Cosy is the Agatha Christie style texts...there is a closed setting (like a big old house or something), a limited number of possible suspects, usually police who are conveniently inept at solving the crime, leaving the job open to the virtuous detective (Miss Marple etc)...It's all very english countryside, and everyone is terribly polite and in The Real Inspector Hound, The setting, the list of suspects (all very stereotypical), the detective/police, and the whole english manorhouse all mirror the cosy school of crime fiction...I think...well thats what i'm writing about in the exam!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)