Really as bad as they say? (1 Viewer)

Richwa

HSC
Hey,

My careers advisor has not stopped telling our year that if you dont have at least 12 units that you have no chance of getting into uni, especially if you have no science based subjects, like myself.

In year 11 i was carrying 13 units, however, i am dropping Ancient History and falling back to 11. My subjects will now stand with Advanced English, Modern, Extension History, Society and Culture, Legal Studies, and Economics.

If i do well in these subjects and get good marks and positions, is it possible to get the 91 that i am gunning for?

Any help with this topic would help!

P

pLuvia

Richwa said:
Hey,

My careers advisor has not stopped telling our year that if you dont have at least 12 units that you have no chance of getting into uni, especially if you have no science based subjects, like myself.

In year 11 i was carrying 13 units, however, i am dropping Ancient History and falling back to 11. My subjects will now stand with Advanced English, Modern, Extension History, Society and Culture, Legal Studies, and Economics.

If i do well in these subjects and get good marks and positions, is it possible to get the 91 that i am gunning for?

Any help with this topic would help!
Well, he's a liar

Of course you are able to get a UAI if you try hard enough. Many and I mean MANY people don't do science and do heaps well, don't worry

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you get the marks in the subjects that you are doing you will get the credit in the UAI scaling.

My school has often had students get over 90 UAI with no science in their 10 units.

More interesting is the statistic that suggests that if you only do 10 units compared to a student with identical results at the SC who does 11 or more units the student doing only the 10 units will do worse at the HSC. One theory is that that is because the student with only 10 units tends to waste more time that those with 11 or more units.

heidi_kak

HSC
your careers advisor is a complete idiot! you're much better off taking a subject load that you can cope with and doing well than trying to do too much and end up doing worse in everything. as long as you are comfortable with your subject choices, there's no point doing extra if you don't want to. plenty of people have gotten 99+ UAIs with less than 12 units and no science units. 11units is fine because you still have one 'backup' unit if one of the exams doesn't go as well as you'd hoped.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Argonaut said:
That's why 13 is probably best, any more and you'll be pushing yourself too much, any less and you don't get much to work with at the end of the year, especially if you don't do too well in more than one subject.
13?!!! That's excessive, you'd be doing almost a third more work than needed. I think 11, 12 at most is good if you're scared to risk having only 10.

And to the original poster, the dux of my school 2 or 3 years ago did all humanities and arts subjects (Drama, Art, Society and Culture), NO maths or sciences, and still got 99.7.

Your career advisor's just trying to scare you.

Always

HSC
Rubbish, absolute rubbish.

Many students at my school have gotten 99+ UAIs with no science or maths. We have a reasonable fair system. It's possible to achieve good marks with any subject, as long as you do well. Taking too many units will only disadvantage yourself as you will carry the extra workload that other students do not have.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
your year advisor = absolute dickhead

go tell him to screw himself and drop down to 10 units

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)