Really need help and advice (1 Viewer)

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
hey everyone
i guess you might think this is an omg cry thread about people not trying, i guess its different for me because i am trying but i am not succeeding as a result.

I have just recently finished my trials but depression is starting to kick in due to the results i have received in the past few days.

I have been offered a cadetship of chartered accountants which means that in order for me to work for a company i would have to do a business course in one of the major universities. The courses that is offered has a minimum UAI of 85.

Althought i don't go to a fantastic school which isn't on the top 200 list i am starting to get worried that my goal of reaching a UAI of 85 now is close to impossible, these are my results for my trials

Maths Ext 1 54% (5/20)
Maths Ext 2 38% (5/5)
Physics 64% (15/22)
Chemistry 45% (7/9)
English Standard 65% (29/108)
Business Studies 75% (5/35)

i know my results might come shocking but i would admit i had spent way too much time studying for physics and the results were terrible because i neglected my chemistry as a result.

i know some of you guys would think stfu and go study, but i'm just in a crisis at the moment and my career in this cadetship depends on this UAI, it would be great if anyone with any experience would advise me what i need to aim for and whether if there is still a chance for me.

thanks
Joe

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
First off, don't give up!

I see you are doing 12 units. The main thing I suggest you do is decide whether you think you would be better off neglecting one subject entirely and using that extra time to focus on your other subjects. Because only 10 units will count towards your UAI you have to make the decision which would be your weakest subject and you'd do the worst in. It's your judgement though I recommend you talk with teachers and your year advisor before making such a big decision.

Your goal is not impossible, but you have to work for it. Studying effectively is better than just studying a lot and I'm sure you'll find a lot of information in your subject forum to help guide you through it.

Your first aim in my opinion would be to decide if you should carry on studying for all your subjects, or if you feel one particular one is taking up a lot of time and not achieving good results at the same time you might want to consider neglecting it. In my case I had a 11th unit of 3U maths and it took up a lot of time and I still wasn't doing well in it. In the end, I made the crucial decision to neglect it and focused my time on other subjects and it worked out.

This is just advice and it's really up to you to make the decision. It would too difficult for a forum member to be able to make the right decision for you without knowing much about you which is why your teachers and year advisors will be of the best help.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
First of all thanks for the reply

the only problem now is that i'm not sure whether which subject to drop, i was planning onto dropping to 10 units before but my year adviser wanted me to have 12 units just in case my 4 unit maths is failing for me.

i'm not sure how good maths ext 2 is scaled compared to my physics and chemistry which is also another reason why i kept them. I've spent most of my time on physics because the teachers i have are fairly good and for chemistry, i've given up on it because the teacher is just shocking.

I had a vague idea at the beginning of the year of dropping chemistry but now i'm worried that whether my ext 2 will support me or not.

Also just a thought, do you have any brief idea of the goals i need to meet? like whether gettin 70% or 80% is good for some subjects? or whether what my UAI is most likely now if i kept it going at this rate?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)