Really need some advice... (1 Viewer)

ellie44

HSC
I went to this maths workshop yesterday, and the maths teacher who got a uai of 90+ said for me to actually drop general maths not because I'm doing bad or anything, its just because I'm doing better in all the other subjects and maths is my lowest mark so far. I'm doing 13 units right now, and at the moment my ranking for general maths is 16/81. There are only two students in year 12 who have dropped maths, so the rest of the year is basically doing it. I feel like a part of me will be missing if i drop maths, because I've had it all my life. But on the other hand, whats the point on wasting all that time where i could be working to achieve higher results in my other subjects? I really need some good advice, it would be greatly appreciated *sigh*...

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
if you're doing your hsc this year (08), what is the point in doing 13 units? If you think about it, you're putting all this effort into doing a subject that probably won't get counted ultimately for your UAI, if it is true that it is indeed your lowest subject?
Plus, i'm quite sure that general maths isnt scaled up (right?) so hence, it will probably stay your lowest subject even after scaling most likely?

But, you also need to take into consideration what degree you plan to do at uni? As some do require prereq's of maths etc...

ellie44

HSC
you have a point there. Well, I'm really interested in

pyshc. .......

early childhood studies ....

nutrition .....

social science ....

I really dont think that they have pre-req's for these sorts of degrees

do they?

=) thankyou by the way

PC

HSC
N/A
Hard to say. Some people say that doing 13 units can keep you focussed on working as you're always busy. On the other hand if you're a well organised committed person, then 11 units might be better.

Or ... If you like doing it, keep doing it. If you don't, drop it.

You'll find that the stats part of the general course will help if you go into psychology. z-scores, distributions and that sort of stuff will be covered in psychology - quickly.

Mezillious

HSC
N/A
It seems that no matter what you decide to do at university (or beyond) maths will be useful. You should check the prerequisites or recommended subjects before you drop a core subject like maths, but even if it is not necessary for your uni degree you're deciding on now, dropping it will probably come back to haunt you later in life.

Good luck, hope this helps.

P.S. My wife [B.Mus. (Hons.) / B.Arts / Grad. Dip. (Primary) / M.A. (Music)] and I [B.Teach. / B.Design & Technology] believe you should not drop maths!

morganjane

HSC
hey there

in my opinion you need to weigh up how you feel about your schooling atm. if you are sitting your HSC and you are holding 13 units, you do have the freedom to drop maths in order to lighten your load. and once again in my opinion, it is a good decision to drop a subject, regardless of what it is, to try and relieve some work for the yea as we all know how stressful it can be.

but consider which subjects you enjoy as well as where you are sitting, rank and mark wise.

it is your decision ultimately.

Good Luck
God Bless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)