reason for difficulty.... (1 Viewer)

chunder

HSC
I just returned from the 3U exam and a thought striked me....the reason why all the maths exams this year have been a significant "improvement" from last year was because BOS is implementing it's next "weapon" in countering "Asian Dominance". The first weapon involved making English compulsory and it didn't really work. By making maths more difficult BOS hopes to "discourage" Asians....unfortunately the collateral damage will be extremely high.

NB. I am of Asian background and it is my opinion that Andrew Refshauge is the biggest idiot alive. If he really wants to lower the Asian to Westerner ratio in universities just impose a quota and stop these stupid games

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
lol.

Wasn't the conspiracy theory about the way they made maths progressively easier since mid 90's to screw Asians up a while ago?

ToRnaDo

HSC
hahah the ESL paper this year was weird and hard for International Student..sooo he did lower the Asian :-(

ReaveR

HSC
Hahaha that's a bit harsh just because of poor performance...
As if making the exams harder target Asian dominance, because it affects all students who are sitting for the exams.

yeah that has got to be the stupidest idea ever
im asian too
and i think ur wrong
" By making maths more difficult BOS hopes to "discourage" Asians...."
thats like stupid
every just does worse it doesnt make any diff, plus it wasnt that much harder

asian discrimination is like interviews for med, not making tests harder boy

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
how is making maths harder targeting asians? asians rule the maths world

N

ND

Ummm if the asians are smarter, and BOS makes the exams harder, then the asians perform better than the non-asians. :rolleyes:

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think it was because last year's exam was too easy
and the aligning/scaling disadvantaged the non-maths people

manta

i heard something about making the exams harder so not as many ppl get into uni or something retarded like that!! and apart from Q6 and 7 i think the rest was pretty easy

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by chunder
By making maths more difficult BOS hopes to "discourage" Asians....unfortunately the collateral damage will be extremely high.
you're an idiot.

if there actually was discrimination against maths subjects then why does 3u maths scale better than 4u english? mmm?
~35% of people get E4 in both... and then the maths scales better.. so azns aren't getting screwed

it's like ppl going 'man they're discriminating against wogs... ancient greek was soooo hard... even though my mark of 50% will scale up to 70000000%'

turtle_2468

HSC
One of the reasons the exam was harder than last year was because of one of the guys on the board being an UNSW lecturer who knows his stuff :)

yeah. He set a lot the 4U paper, and so I'd guess he might have a bit of influence on the 3U...

but then, think about it this way. Who do you want to do well in 3U - should it just be the people who are careful or should it also test whether ppl can do maths problems? I mean, the harder it is, as long as it's not too hard, the better it separates out ppl...

In that case, making it harder is actually a good idea.

smeyo

how come everyone is saying that the 3unit paper was harder this year, i personally thought it was easier than past papers i had been doing, and the 4unit paper may only be slightly harder than normal, but about targeting certain ethnic groups thats a load of shit.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
well chunder, your argument would work against both asians and non-asians, but I think you can really agree that this is the board of studies' joint effort with the government to counter-act the north-korean nuclear crisis.

BTW I think there's a misconception about asians being good in maths. It's just that the parents, they expect asians to be good in maths, and this results in more maths which in turn pushes the asians to be more good in maths, and in the end asians are probably good in maths, but that's not the case. I mean, it's just that asian parents have tendencies of being strict, therefore making their kid study.

I mean, after the 4u exam, i went to my friend's house who did 2u, and he got called by his mom. He said he did bad, and he got in big trouble.. you know what I mean.

So basically, all as a whole is as is..

MyLuv

Lol,Asian is not just good at Maths:D I'm Asian and i m good at pingpong(really good:D) and computergame too ^^ but hey not so good in maths and others:p

Originally posted by haz_it_all
i think thats were alotta ppl lost their marks in q6 + 7
I did those 2 questions first. I disliked the rest of the paper, it was evil! My friend and i walked out with half an hour 2 spare, lots of blanks. MATHS = GRRR!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by chunder
I just returned from the 3U exam and a thought striked me....the reason why all the maths exams this year have been a significant "improvement" from last year was because BOS is implementing it's next "weapon" in countering "Asian Dominance". The first weapon involved making English compulsory and it didn't really work. By making maths more difficult BOS hopes to "discourage" Asians....unfortunately the collateral damage will be extremely high.

NB. I am of Asian background and it is my opinion that Andrew Refshauge is the biggest idiot alive. If he really wants to lower the Asian to Westerner ratio in universities just impose a quota and stop these stupid games
lol, was pauline hanson on the exam board or somethin'...:rofl:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Chocoholic_Gal
I did those 2 questions first. I disliked the rest of the paper, it was evil! My friend and i walked out with half an hour 2 spare, lots of blanks. MATHS = GRRR!
why did you do the last 2, but found the rest of the paper evil?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)