• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

reccomendations of piano tutors (1 Viewer)

totallybord

HSC
hi :wave:
i dunno if i shld be posting this here...i lookd in the music forum but its like contemporary and pop music discussions and not instrumental discussions so yeah...anyway...
can someone reccomend some good piano tutors with contact info and possibly in the inner west are (bankstown area etc.) or if not in that area cld come to my house ?:)
oh yeah and possibly arnd $20 for half an hr....
help me..?:confused:
oh yeah advice: how wld u fire ur piano teacher?
thanx :)
bbye

kouri

well w t f
HSC
what level are you? :) i believe in.. paying more when you are at a higher level.. (paying more as in.. a better better piano teacher)

how about the guy who's going to play in (points to sig) that concert? :)
haha. arh.. jk. he's not 20bucks / halfhr. :\

fire piano teacher. just tell them you're taking a rest for studies or something.

totallybord

HSC
ive been doing piano for abt 1 and a half yrs and my teacher wants me to do grade 4 this yr...
any suggestions?

tartaresauce

HSC
grade 3-4 was a large jump for me in terms of the quality of playing (like say grade 6-7 in school terms.) so maybe start with grade 3 first?

kouri

well w t f
HSC
wow.. thats a huge jump. for 1.5yeras of playing.
You must be really good.

a year and a half.. well dont exactly know who and how well your current teacher teaches you.

But just make sure you know all the basics and crap alike.
and... knowing how to sightread or whatever isn't enough. hard to explain, but you'll know when someone is playing crap or not. :) one that makes you shiver, or one that doesn't, one that has feelings, and ones that dont. so yeh.

I finished grade 2, 9 years ago. and have played 9 years without a teacher. and now my rhythm sucks bigtime, even though everything else seems pretty good. not to mention i advanced So Ever So Slowly.

Because now that i'm learning the violin, my violin teacher's like "you suck at rhythm, you're going to keep playing this suzuki book 1 until you fix it"

and if your teacher ever tells you to do hanon..then hmm.. do some research on it.
as popular as it is, i've read how it stuffs you up big time.

anyway, my lecturer went crazy today. (My Computing lecturer) he said the piano is wrong and proved it mathematically. hahha

totallybord

HSC
hey!
i posted an earlier msg except it didnt turn up but anyway i just wanted to ask tataresauce if you meant that i do 3rd grade exam first? coz id rather skip a grade if i can avoid doing it coz too much skool work to do and doing 1 grade a yr wld be a waste of money if i can avoid it and also coz my teacher was gonna prepare me for 5th grade exam if i practiced really hard but i having been concentrating and committing time to piano coz of skoolwork and assessments so now im bak to 4th grade and hopefully wont go to 3rd grade....:burn:
and to kouri i dun think im good at piano, i just think my teacher has too much faith in me coz i learnt basics quickly and he just assumed i wld no everything else but i often embarass myself :eek:

oh yeah...to kouri: does kouri mean those shaved ice things in japanese?

totallybord

HSC
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2281691" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125></TD><TD class=alt2>a year and a half.. well dont exactly know who and how well your current teacher teaches you.

and if your teacher ever tells you to do hanon..then hmm.. do some research on it.
as popular as it is, i've read how it stuffs you up big time.

anyway, my lecturer went crazy today. (My Computing lecturer) he said the piano is wrong and proved it mathematically. hahha
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>sorry for a 2nd reply...
well ive only ever had 1 teacher so im not exactly sure what a "good' teacher is like...i mean i think my teacher is ok, its just that sometimes he doesnt answer my questions or he misunderstands and im not a great explainer so i just drop the subject coz then it just wastes time.
btw, im not doing hanon and i dun think my teacher has any plans to let me do it coz hes like practically told me a lot of times that after i do czerny 849 i go to 299 and then some other no. so hanon isnt exactly one of his fav books. but he loves bach and think that everyone shld study hes books coz they help RHYTHM (kouri u mite wanna try it) and expression and stuff....
well if i had to choose another instrument that i wanted to play i wld prob choose between the violin, flute or saxophone but ive always wanted to do piano when i was small so i did it and at first i cldnt really get why everybody was like dun do it!! but now i understand the amount of commitment and practise u need for u to be classified and not crap

tartaresauce

HSC
i say 4th grade is more work than 3rd grade...well that was my experience anyway. but if u think ur good enough to go striaght to 4th grade then go for it and goodluck=D (i passed all piano grades with mainly b's whilst juggling schoolwork at the same time. i dont think that piano affected my study that much although i think that if i used that piano time to study i reckon id be a genius at school =D

totallybord

HSC
i rkn piano does affect my studies coz i started piano like at the end of 2004 so i was pretty old to start and now that i have sc coming up, all my assessmnets are pretty important and committing one hr a day is sorta hard to find since i come home at like 4:30 and im pretty slow with doing skoolwork so i needa lot of time for everything so skoolwork is affected by piano but its usu. in my case piano is affected by skoolwork :mad1:
but im sure u wldve been a genius :D

tartaresauce

HSC
bwaha why thankyou=P yeah i did year 8 in piano while i was in yr 11...im making sure that i dont have ne other commitments while im in yr 12

totallybord

HSC
thats what i was thinking too!!
i didnt wanna do piano in y12 but im pretty sure im completeing my duke of edinburgh gold and it requires i think 1 and a half yr of skills so i was thinking that if u dun practise piano every day u like deteriorate in ur piano skills so much it takes another 1 and a half years to get everything bak together again so i was thinking abt taking art lessons that way i dun needa practice that much :D
my generalised view of y12 is that all study no play ... u become a hermit with no social life..haha thats why i think all y12 dun have bf / gf but thats just a very very generalised view
but someting i dun get is that for y12 u needa do 12/13 units and thats like at most 6 subs and at least 4 subs...and its more likely ur doing 4 subs... why do u needa spend so much time studying? i mena u get so many free periods off studying and then u go home and u study more...is everything really complicated in y12 that it takes a lot of time to process or is it just that theres a lot of pressure u needa revise everything again?
but i prob wont go out at all or commit to anything when i get to y12 coz i dun wanna fail my hsc XD

CieL

HSC
Don't know any in the inner west.. but I know a really really good one in Eastwood.. I had her for my grade 5 and 6 piano.. for AMEB.. before her I used to be a straight B student, till I did my 5th grade in just over half a yr under her I think and I scored an A+ straight away.. she's really into it.. but really strict.. and makes you do concert crap every year..

And to fire them.. just say you're quitting piano (like forever haha).. or that you don't have enough time.. study.. too much pressure on school work.. but yeah, I quitted piano in yr9.. Just said I needed to focus on school.. even though yr9 was actually a total bludge..

CieL

HSC
totallybord said:
my generalised view of y12 is that all study no play ... u become a hermit with no social life..haha thats why i think all y12 dun have bf / gf but thats just a very very generalised view
but someting i dun get is that for y12 u needa do 12/13 units and thats like at most 6 subs and at least 4 subs...and its more likely ur doing 4 subs... why do u needa spend so much time studying? i mena u get so many free periods off studying and then u go home and u study more...is everything really complicated in y12 that it takes a lot of time to process or is it just that theres a lot of pressure u needa revise everything again?
but i prob wont go out at all or commit to anything when i get to y12 coz i dun wanna fail my hsc XD
It's pretty hard to fail the HSC...... my friends did piano + yr12 and they still got high 90s - time management..

Actually for yr12 you only need 10 units.. I did 4 "subjects" and 11 units.. but if you look at it, I'm really doing 7 "subjects" because of my three 3u subjects.. the extra extension unit is like a pile of work more on top..

Oh.. and once you get to yr12.. hardly anyone uses their frees to study.. =]

CieL

HSC
You just need to do at least 10 units.. and at least two of those units must be from english

There are some people who even do 14units in yr12.. but why bother since only 10 units are counted (for your UAI) anyway

totallybord

HSC
hehe off topic :D
anywya any reccomendations? maybe arnd burwood?
oh btw does the eastwood one go to ppl's places ? ]
thanx for the help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)