Recommend me a temporary Arts major! (1 Viewer)

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
Well I transferred into Arts this mid-year, and I was hoping to get a start on Education and Jap studies as my major. Unfortunately I found out that Jap studies needed a prerequisite from semester 1, which meant I had to wait out until next year to pick it up.

Education takes 12 units (2 subs, 6 each), leaving me another 2 subjects / 12 units.

I'd like something fun to learn for a semester, then pick up Japanese studies asap next year (and possibly drop the temporary major).

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
yeah, but I can't take any languages until next year, so I need something for half a year.. temporary :p

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
You could always try a cross-institutional unit if you run into trouble finding things you can pick at UNSW.

~sora~

HSC
N/A
I am assuming that you've already done 4 first year subjects already, since you said you are doing mid-year transfer. If so, I don't think you should do 24 UOC of first year subjects again in the second semester. This is because when my friend wanted to drop one of her 2nd year subjects and do a 1st year subject, they said she couldn't do it because she's used up all her first year credits or something.

You could do fill the other 12 UOC with geneds or do 18UOC next semester, maybe? Do the 2 education subjects and 4-2 lots of gened subjects. When I was doing Bach of Int studies last year and decided to change one of my majors, they said they will allow me to do geneds even though I didn't have the required UOC to do it, because of the circumstances. You should talk to the Arts department before the semester starts, to clarify everything, so you don't have any troubles next year.

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
Fair enough, that sounds reasonable.
I'm in 2nd year uni now, so I've done 3 semesters worth of my old course industrial design.

My friend told me I could 'tehcnically' count them as electives, and 3 semesters worth of outside courses/subjects is more than enough to cancel out my need for electives/gen-eds. Is that true?

~sora~

HSC
N/A
I think it's best if you ring or go and talk to the Arts department to make sure you get all the *correct* information.

But if this is your second year, then I assume that the 24 of the first year's subjects you did last year will be probably credited, so you have 24 UOC left for your majors. If that is so, then 12 units will be taken up by your EDST and then you have 12units left for your other major, so if you do 1 (6UOC) of 1st arts subject then you won't have enough for your major for Japanese left. But you should really confirm this with the arts dept.

Regarding the geneds and electives, well you will most probably get credit for at least 24 UOC for first year electives, so you don't have to worry about that. You can probably get more credits but that's probably up to you since you choose to do the bare 42UOCor up to 54UOC for your majors. If you elect to do 42UOC for both of your majors, then you probably can get 18UOC credited to fill up the elective space. But unless you done a variety of subjects I don't think you will get the whole 12UOC for geneds, and probably end up doing at least 6UOC.

Just an off the topic question, why are you going to major in education? Becuase if you are doing a straights Arts degree and major in education, it's not enough to qualify as a teacher.

choc-chip

HSC
come to our school of history!! It's a fairly interesting major..! JOin the HIST1021 World History: The Twentieth Century!! (not sure if there's any spots left)

choc-chip

HSC
You should do B arts/B education if you wish to be a secondary school teacher, and then choose 2 majors as the areas of teaching

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)