• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

recommend me some new music (1 Viewer)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
clearly i didnt mean MRS KATIETHESKATIE
oh how i miss her
tell her i said hello :eek:

Spacey

HSC
This is the band which got me into even more great music so I suggest Animal Collective.

I guess you could lump them in with the New Wierd America movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Weird_America), but IMO they only fit there in terms of how 'wierd' they are, and their latest album was actually sorta poppy.
I think the songs speak for themselves, and if you don't like any of these then you probably won't like the band.
Leaf House
We Tigers
Grass
Prospect Hummer
April and the Phantom

And here's some cool videos for good measure.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5M_DXnlET7U&search=animal%20collective%20we%20tigers
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CtkK9gUMOVQ&search=session%20planet%20clairehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Weird_America

Legham

HSC
In Flames

This is the most amazing band i have ever listened to. I'm only speaking for their latest albums Reroute To Remain and Come Clarity because they are all i have. In Flames are incredibly consistent in terms of awesome songs. Every single track on both of these albums has an awesome chorus which could get the mountains moving. Theres a balanced mix of singing and screaming and same with the higher pitch guitars and the full-on heavy metal guitars. They are a mix of the Power Metal, and Melodic Metal genres.

Some Top Tracks:
Free Fall
Black and White
Cloud Connected
Crawl Through Knives
Come Clarity
Reflect The Storm
Leeches
Vacuum
Vanishing Light
Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone
Trigger
Transperant
System
Dark signs

(sorry about all the tracks. That's what i was saying about them being so consistent. I would of liked to add more to that list, and that's just from two albums.)

Children Of Bodom

If i was asked the definition of Power Metal, i would hit the play button and get some of these crazy scandinavian cunts cranking. They're in your face, they're brutal, they have the craziest high-pitched guitar and keyboard solo's known to man, they're awesome. Their name comes from a group of kids who were brutally killed at Lake Bodom in Finland, which is one of the greatest murder mysterys ever.

Some killer tracks:
Mask Of Sanity
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Black Widow
Children Of Decadence
The Final Countdown (cover of an old song)
Oops I Did It Again (cover of Britney Spears Song :p)
The Trooper

@ DrowntheCrow: If you haven't heard either of these, you should definetely like them to. As I Lay Dying are awesome :D (havent heard the other band).

libertine

in the middle class ghetto: North Shore, Bitch
HSC
some quality choices in this thread e.g MBV, Architecture in Helsinki, Radiohead, Kate Bush etc.

People check out "The Fall". the most brilliant and enduring post-punk band that have been going strong for the past 25 years. headed by the genius that is Mark E. Smith with his distinctive, singing style..think spitting out his lyrics reptitively and hysterically in a monotonous fashion, backed me throbbing basslines and gorgeous riffs..get the albums "This Nations Saving Grace'" or 'Hex Enduction Hour"

Another post-punk band ive just got into recently is "Wire". Get the albums "Pink Flag" and "Chairs Missing". No explanation needed. Just listen

A hot new band that some of you might of heard on Triple J is the "Guillemots". Fantastic tunes, in particular 'Trains to Brazil" which is probably my favourite song of 2006.

I've also rediscovered my love for the Beach Boys, with Brian Wilson announcing he will be at Splendour..and god..Pet Sounds = Pop Genius. A must have for any music fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)