Recommendations for Subscription to SMH/Economist? (1 Viewer)

knitteddy

HSC
Hi guys, I've just started year 12, and I was just wondering for those of you who have done the HSC already and/or have subscribed to the SMH and the economist, do you think that these subscriptions are worthwhile, and how did they help you, aside from statistics - concept building?

Thank you!

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I subscribed to the Sydney Morning Herald during Year 12, and I thought this was relatively useful. However, I also was putting aside about 1-2 hours per week to research on the Internet to find out what is going on, any new and updated statistics etc, and I thought this was a very useful thing that assisted me significantly and that obviously (based on my mark) ultimately benefitted me! :)

The Economist would probably be a good investment too, as that clearly just focuses on economics issues, but it'd just be a matter of being able to select what is most relevant and what is not, because often the Economist goes into detail about issues that go way beyond the scope of the Economics course.

mattopirotta

HSC
I'm doing my HSC this year and I havn't got my results so you may want to take my advice with a pinch of salt :) Personally I think that just watching the news and keeping up with relavant economic issues is more than enough the get through the HSC just fine. If you enjoy reading economic stuff like me than it might be useful, especially if you're looking to get very high band 6's but I think that generally speaking a broad general knowlege of contemporary economic issues (e.g. Greek debt, US downgrade etc) is more than enough to get you band 6 results.

Best of luck for the next twelve months and I hope ou enjoy economics as much as I do :)

knitteddy

HSC
thanks so much for the info guys! i'm loving economics more with each minute that passes :p just need to allocate a set time (free periods) to do economics research! Yay!

Galladrim

HSC
The English Teachers Association actually completely subsidised my newspaper subscription, and I got it delivered to school. Its really good, even if you only read it for ten minutes a day. It keeps you aware and constantly engaging with the practice behind the theory. Plus there's the crosswords...

Lis020393

HSC
I subscribed to the SMH but found that between school and study and exams I didn't have time to read it every day and cut out articles relating to eco and all that to help my understanding
But before an exam I always find the 'Australian Financial Review' helpful, you don't need to buy it everyday (but if you want to it's $3) but before an exam, it has lots of good eco articles across all the topics which can help your understanding of eco and help enhance the stats/current info in your essay
I've never used the economist for eco before but it sounds good

NubMuncher

HSC
SMH will keep you up to date on whats happening, which is what you need for a band 6 but you can look all this up on the internet.

The Economist will go in depth on key contemporary issues, something that will push your mark into the high 90s if that's what your looking for.

Of course, a thorough understanding of the content is more important than these subscriptions though!

Good luck! Economics is a beast subject IMO ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)